Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Reported Contributons - Points    

Reported Contributons - Points

Anna P
Brazil

Reported Contributons - Points

I believe that this issue has been vented before but my computer is SO slow that I could not find anything about it.  Checking the reported contributions I noticed that a "stolen" ws had about 150 points while the real author received 111 points for it. 
Wouldn �t there be a way to transfer points from reported contributions to their real author?  It seems so unfair that points granted to a "copied" worksheet are simply lost and not given to the rightful person.
Could something be done about it?

9 Mar 2012      

foose1
United States

It �s not that I am worried so much about points but what about the poor person who gets reported and they end up losing points because people with over 5,000 points get to review it for free?  So once the powerpoint is accepted and after losing 14 hours of it being on the new contributions list it only gets 10 actual hours of air time(contrary to what the rejection email states).  I know, I had 9 downloads on a reported contribution within the first 10 minutes of air time (not that I believe that this is actually air time).  At exactly 11 minutes after the open, I noticed it had disapeared out of the new contributions list.  Boy, I was really hoping on seeing just how many points I would get off the powerpoint.  Oh well, another disapointing day and I don �t really think I was cheated out of points.  Just a little disapointed that my work did not receive the full 24 hours.  I guess we just have to take the chips as they fall and move on with our lives.  Nothing is perfect in this world.

John, the dispointed one

9 Mar 2012     

teresaraiva
Portugal

Hey Mr �Gamemaker �

Don �t be so �dispointed �! I �ve just downloaded loads of your incredible ppt games.

Smile

Teresa

9 Mar 2012     

Anna P
Brazil

We �re talking about different things here, John. For me, a person who uploads someone else �s work  is not "the poor person who gets reported".  The "poor person" is the one who works and creates an original ws only to see another member receive 150 points for it.
I also don �t understand what you mean by "people with over 5,000 points get to review it for free". By "for free" do you mean spending hours checking each contribution taken from sites (opening each site to check if it is really a copy) or from other members - just to help clean the site?  Each day we have loads of copies and some dedicated people spend their valuable time checking them.

As for your pp, I really don �t know what happened and I �m very sorry.  I understand how you feel because I love doing OEs and very few people take the time to check them. But don �t be disappointed! Like Teresa, I �ll also check on your powerpoints.

HeartAnna

PS: John, Your powerpoints are FANTASTIC! So useful and creative! I�m really sorry you had problems with one of them.

9 Mar 2012     

zailda
Brazil

After being �on� the reported contribution � when not deleted � is sent to the news contributions page, so it�ll remain �on� for additional 24 hours. And the moderators �check worksheets for free� as a way of contributing, if we allow copies or ask Victor a salary to perform our duties, we�d be sued by the owners of the tons of copied wss uploaded every single day.

When I�m logged and review the worksheets uploaded, I do it the painless manner, trying to avoid the disappointment the members will feel if their wss are reported after a few moments �on�: I report them before they enter the new contributions page, so their so-called �owners� won�t have any reasons to complain about their frustration.

BTW, I don�t think it�d be a good idea to transfer the points gotten by a stolen activity to the �real author� because people who are engaged in cheating activities around the site would soon notice that if they create a second profile,  ï¿½steal� their own work and report it, they�ll get all the points his �clone� had gotten before the deletion.

I think we should think of ways to stop people from copying and not open a door for brand-new ways of doing that.

Have a nice day / evening!

Zailda Coirano

10 Mar 2012     

foose1
United States

Believe me my ptt wasn �t on for an additional 24 hours.  You are right Anna! I am a bit off subject but I just wanted to stress that it really isn �t a big deal and it won �t destroy our lives.  It just may be a little dispointing at times.

John

10 Mar 2012