Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Private messaging doesn’t seem to be working for me    

Private messaging doesn’t seem to be working for me

alphanumeric
South Africa

Private messaging doesn’t seem to be working for me

Hi all,

As the title to my post says, I have been trying to send a private message to a user on the site to answer some of the questions she raised in a post made on one of my uploads.

I click on the mail icon next to the user�s name, and I am taken to the standard private messaging form. I fill in all the fields, as required, but when I click on send, I am told that this user does not exist.

I haven�t tried sending private messages to any other users. But this one doesn�t seem to be working for me. Perhaps it is a widespread problem or perhaps there is something else going on that I am not aware of.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

12 Mar 2012      

Apodo
Australia

I just sent a PM to you. It seemed to work OK.

Type the User name into the Search Users box (under the worksheet search) and see if they "exist".
Maybe they left the site??????

Have you tried sending a PM to someone else as a test?

12 Mar 2012     

Errie
Japan

It �s working fine here:

PLEASE LADIES......STOP SENDING ME PM �S!!!
Wink

12 Mar 2012     

Apodo
Australia

@Errie. You wish!LOL

12 Mar 2012     

alphanumeric
South Africa

Haha! Thanks for your replies, both helpful and humorous. Who knew that this site sometimes doubles as a dating site... (Today I Learned...)

Thanks for the PM Apodo. I have replied to you.

It �s still a mystery. I just can �t send that specific user a PM. Well, that �s too bad.

Anyhoo... Enjoy your Monday (or whatever day is NOW wherever you are.)

Out.

12 Mar 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

I also have one member I don �t seem to be able to reach by PM. Exactly the same thing you describe happens, after I write everything I get a message stating there is no such member. At first I thought maybe she blocked me (her being from a muslim country and me living in Israel) but she left a very friendly comment on my worksheet so I doubt that is the reason... I don �t know what the problem is... Of course there is a way to circumvent this...If you have something really important to say you can leave a comment under her worksheet and she should get that next time she visits ESLp. Of course that isn �t very private but if you leave a comment under an older sheet, the exposure to others  is limited....

12 Mar 2012     

alphanumeric
South Africa

Hmmm... The plot thickens...

Still, I�m kinda glad that I �m not the only one experiencing this problem Tongue. I have now tried sending the message on a Mac, on a PC, using Internet Explorer and Firefox, and it hasn �t worked. So those have seemingly been ruled out as a source of the problem.

It �s highly unlikely the user in question has blocked me (specifically) as, first of all, there was no reason to, and secondly, it was the first time I had tried to contact her (or anyone else on this site). Also, she comes from Brazil, so it �s unlikely that religion or politics comes into it in my case...

So, because it �s really bugging me now and I �m a curious fellow, I had a look at the comments on her �wall �, or whatever it �s called hereabouts and I saw another user posting something to the effect that she is not able to contact the user, just like I am unable to.

So, here �s my half-baked theory, for what it�s worth. Due to some reason/s unknown to me, some users on this site are simply un-contactable via messenger. Why? I just don �t know. Tada!!! Not a great conclusion but it �ll have to do for now.

Admins? Feel free to jump in and clear this up Wink !!!

Night all and thanks for the feedback. It is always appreciated.

12 Mar 2012