Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A Bit Confused on Sunday Evening    

A Bit Confused on Sunday Evening

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I do think that in that situation, you would say, �he looks as if he �s never seen that before � �never � takes in the sense of it, without the need for a pluperfect tense. 

19 Mar 2012     

dennismychina
China

As I read the sentence, I used had not. And I don�t think it sounds awkward at all. I think Douglas�s explanation is the best so far. He is in the present, however �before� takes him into the past and therefore he had never (hadn�t) seen that before, although he is seeing it now. Me thinks.
Enjoy.

19 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Dennismychina, why do you assume he �s seeing it now? �He looks as if he hasn �t ... � is fine and � �hasn �t seen � IS past. �He looks as if he hadn �t � does jar... Are there no professors of English on our site to pronounce??? 

19 Mar 2012     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Thanks for the other suggestions.  I understand Douglas� reply and I respect it. But, don�t you think the question is too difficult for a test for the level B1-B2? Even the native speakers here have "some problems" to give a clear and simple answer. And I can still feel some kind of tension over the "stupid" test question. Ermm

19 Mar 2012     

yanogator
United States

@dennismychina,
But "before" is meaning "before now", not "before some time in the past", so I don �t think your explanation holds up.

Bruce

19 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Oto, yes, this is not a good/fair question at that level.  

19 Mar 2012     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Thanks all for your time, effort and willingness to help. Clap I appreciate that very very much.
Hugs to all from the Czech Republic. Hug
Oto

19 Mar 2012     

< Previous   1    2