Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching Reading    

Teaching Reading

N.F.T
South Africa

Teaching Reading

Hi all.  

This week I will start teaching my little 6 year old kids READING.  We �ve touched on alphabet and a little phonics in the past and learnt a few vocab items but never actually READ a full sentence or short little story.

I �m at a loss.  I don �t know where to start with TEACHING READING.  I �ve done some of my own reading on Google about teaching techniques for reading but I �m still a little lost.  Most sights want you to pay for their STEP-BY-STEP courses.  Unfortunately neither myself, nor my school, can afford to pay a subscription to any of these sites.

If anyone out there has clear, concise information about TEACHING READING to little kids I would be so grateful.  I really want to see these kids succeed with their reading but I don �t even know where to start.

Thanks!

M

21 Mar 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

Using word cards with flashcards will definitely help, especially if words are written in colourful large letters. Children experience words as pictures, not necessarily separating letter by letter (especially at first). Using comic book versions of stories, large picture books, lots of interesting audio materials (with music, various voices, whether it �s a recording or you who act out the roles - they love it when you act it out first, then they mime while reading), cut-outs of parts of sentences... It has to be fun, colourful and the emphasis for them must always be on the story, the characters and how the story applies in their own lives, not on reading as such (although your aim will be improving reading, but you have to �mislead � them by not talking about reading). Calling the whole method a challenge for them, rather than �let �s try reading this � is also a great way to approach the topic - kids love challenges. I have some reader motivator games (for three levels of students) in my printables, but for some reason I couldn �t insert the link here (the site still seems too slow:(), but feel free to check them - they might give you some idea. Lots of luck!

edit: finally managed to - here�s the link: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=270176#thetop

21 Mar 2012     

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

Try this site

http://www.readingteacher.com/

22 Mar 2012