Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use of GO + infinitive    

Use of GO + infinitive

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Use of GO + infinitive

Dear mates,
I �ve been wondering how to explain the use of GO + infinitive, as in this sentence: I �ll go see.
I wonder if that �s a correct structure or if it should be "I �ll go AND see" or simply "I �ll see".
I �ve seen sentences like this before but a student has recently watched an episode of the stinct TV series Friends (The one Nana dies twice - 1s season) in which Nana has possibly died and one of the characters decides to check it out. That �s exactly what he says: "I �ll go see", as he �s supposed to go to her bedroom and actually see.

Thanks in advance.

25 Mar 2012      

yanogator
United States

Both forms are very common. Here are some more examples.

I �ll go cut the grass now.   I �ll go and cut the grass now.

You should go start dinner.   You should go and start dinner.

I �ll go help him with his homework.   I �ll go and help him with his homework.

Most people commonly use one form or the other, but which form is just personal preference.

Bruce

25 Mar 2012     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Thanks, Bruce. 

25 Mar 2012     

wabbwabb
Vietnam

it �s more common and correct to join two similar grammatical clauses with �and �. It makes sense, to link two actions with an �and � just as with nouns we would say �this is a horse and a sheep � (a horse PLUS a sheep)not �this is a horse a sheep �. Therefore it makes sense to add two verbs in the same way "come AND sit down" "I will go AND (plus) see" The omission of the �and � "I �ll go see" is an Americanised informality - the dropping of the �and � does not occur in British English.

25 Mar 2012     

Mariethe House
France

I �d say the "and " is there but is hardly spoken like in rock �n roll.
So it is probably I �ll go �n see and with usage it has become: I �ll go see.

25 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ll go for �go �n � see � when speaking, but you would �go and see � when writing. Omitting the �and � is American English. wabbwabb is right about that.

Oh, but maybe people are happy with American English? I don�t see why not.

25 Mar 2012     

wabbwabb
Vietnam

Yes, there are informalities all over the place in spoken English, American or British and no-one �s to say who �s right or wrong in that respect. But as Cunliffe points out you �gotta � be careful in written English. That �s where it becomes a problem. Especially if you �wanna � good grade.

26 Mar 2012     

Mariethe House
France

YEs, omitting the "and" when writing is not accepted.
It is the just the same with other short forms like  "have got" . Some French course books write "I �ve got" and I remember some English friends of mine being quite "shocked" when seeing that mistake. We, as French teachers of English used to ( �and still do ) accept it in written form.What do you think?Confused

26 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, we teach these abbreviations �I �ve got... they �ve... we �ll etc �. They are acceptable in written English.

26 Mar 2012