Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > indirect questions    

indirect questions

teacherica5
Croatia

indirect questions

Hi, everyone!!!

I know that if the direct question contains do, does or did, we omit it in the indirect question, but this sentence sounds so weird to me...

"Do you like spring?"
Tell me if you like spring? I would add OR NOT to this sentence?? or like this: Could you tell me if you like spring?

Is it correct or not? please help :)
thanks

25 Mar 2012      

Mariethe House
France

Both Your sentences are perfectly correct. If you want to add a negative, I �d say:
Tell me if you like  or if you don �t like spring .
Tell me if you like spring or if you don�t!
Personnally I do! ;o)

25 Mar 2012     

teacherica5
Croatia

Thanks a lot!!! Star

25 Mar 2012     

mariec
Spain

Why not?

She asked me if I liked spring.

25 Mar 2012     

yanogator
United States

I �m sorry to have to tell you that Mariethe �s answers aren �t quite correct.

First, "Tell me if you like spring" should end in a period, not a question mark, since it is an imperative sentence.

"Tell me if you like or if you don �t like Spring" is grammatically correct, but a native speaker wouldn �t say it that way, mainly because of the missing object of the first "like".

We are much more likely to say "Tell me if you like spring or not" than "Tell me if you like spring or if you don �t".

Bruce

25 Mar 2012     

kodora
Greece

I think that if you want to add not to the sentence you should say:Tell me whether you like spring or not.
Dora

25 Mar 2012     

Mariethe House
France

"Do you like spring?" is actually the simplest, and most natural way to say it in English.Smile

26 Mar 2012