Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Re spelling    

Re spelling

libertybelle
United States

Re spelling

I don�t mean to rude or arrogant here, but the least we can expect of each other is knowing that when making Worksheets for each other, we take the time to check for spelling mistakes.
I don�t mind the typos here on the messageboard, but lots of people aren�t really great spellers, and the people downloading  other teacher�s materials should feel safe knowing that the author  has taken the time to check for mistakes. We not in it for the money - so why the rush to upload without checking?????
We are giving these sheets to our students, after all.

I just happened to notice some new downloads today that were so full of mistakes - it was almost pathetic.

that�s my two cents worth.
L

4 Jan 2009      

blizzard1
Denmark

I agree 100%. No more comments are needed.

4 Jan 2009     

alex1968
Greece

I agree with you (I�ve just checked the ws I uploaded to double check!!!) and it�s not just spelling mistakes...I think we should be careful with grammar errors as well...especially if it�s the main point of our ws!!!

4 Jan 2009     

cgato
Portugal

You are right libertybelle!!
I always check my ws more than once, but sometimes I don�t see obvious typing mistakes. Sometimes I just notice them when I give the ws to my students and I immediately ask them to correct them.
If any member sees a typing mistake on any of my WS I�ll be thankful if I was told about it, so I can correct it..

Greetings from Portugal!

4 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Good evening Libertybelle! I totally agree with you and Tisha on this. We have to be very careful about what we�re teaching  (and giving) to our students. That�s a big responsibility we have in our hands! So I think we should discuss these things.

Sometimes, when I go through some worksheets, I�m very happy to find quality work from excellent contributors in this site. However, I also find quite a few resources that make me feel  very disappointed and annoyed. Where is our pride as professionals? I mean, we are professionals, aren�t we? So, indeed, what�s the rush? Why not take the time to check - and I�m not referring only to spelling mistakes  - and recheck before uploading? We�re going to teach the Simple present  and give our students a handout with mistakes on that grammar topic?!!!! "What does these sentences....?"Pleaaaaase�.

If it is unacceptable that teachers make mistakes like the one above in an unexpected situation, it is even more unacceptable when they have had the opportunity and the time to study it, to make the worksheet with all the grammar books around them and, finally, to check or, at least, ask someone to do that before it is given to the students. And it is even more disturbing to know that if they are not ashamed of sharing such a worksheet with us, their pairs, in the site, why should they be ashamed of giving it to the students? After all, they are there to learn, not to teach, so who would know?!! How very sad! L

I�ve been a member of this wonderful site for 3 months only (lmost),  but I can see the difference already. There has been an increase in the number of worksheets uploaded daily, that is a fact, but there has also been a decrease in the quality of many of them. Like you�ve just said Libertybelle, sometimes it is pathetic.  :(((

Good evening to you all! Have a nice Sunday! :))

4 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I know it is a shame to cry  when we find those terrible errors in the worksheets
 and we think: ��Wow... I can�t believe this comes from an English teacher��

Personally, I check several times my worksheets before uploading them, never the less some other times after I had posted them I could still find some errors that  I was susprised I did not see them. So I had to re edited and post them again.

What I intend to say is that, I am sure we all have errors sometimes. I agree with all of you that we should be careful.  But also we are not perfect and for those who has ever made a mistake -like me- just know that it is natural to make a mistake, I don�t think you are ��pathetic�� but you do need to take a little longer time to go over your worksheet before posting them.

This is why it is important to read our comments and it is important to ��let know�� that person in a nice and diplomatic way about his/her grammatical error, or lexical mistake.

Most of us are starting our teaching career , we still make mistakes. Therefore, I am - I�m sure everybody else here-  thankful to be told about any mistake that any member could find on my worksheets.

Have a wonderful weekend!

P.S  You might have found some errors on this post. Let me know, please Wink

4 Jan 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I agree with libertybelle.  It is really inexcusable to find so many mistakes in a teachers� site.  I always edit the wss I download (and double check the ones I upload).

What we might do to raise the level of our wss could be, whenever we spot a mistake, to send a private message or e-mail to the person. It�s a touchy situation but certainly most members would not mind having their wss corrected by a fellow teacher. I certainly wouldn�t.

4 Jan 2009     

Hannie
Portugal

Hi Libertybelle!
I also agree with you and I�m the first to say that I would be very thankfull to get constructive comments on my WS.
I�m humble enough to admit that spelling was not my strongest skill as a student and I probably still make some mistakes.
I try my best to check my WS twice before sending them but sometimes things do seem right even if we read them a thousand times.
I think the best we can do is doble check both our WS and the ones we download from other teachers.
Then if we find some mistakes we just have to be direct and send a PRIVATE message to the author so that he can change it. I guess this is what cooperation and companionship is all about.

Hannie

4 Jan 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

Sorry Mena, speaking of mistakes, we, on this site, are not your pairs but your peers. If we want to be accurate....

4 Jan 2009