Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Assessment    

Assessment

Anna P
Brazil

Assessment

I have just written a short evaluation to be sent to one of my private student�s school.  I haven�t been writing reports for a while and I would like to know how if it is still OK to use the heading �To whom it may concern�. It sounds so outdated!
Thanks for your help.
Anna

5 Jan 2009      

gaby_mn
United States

Hi Anna P.  I�d say if you don�t know the name of the person you�re writing to, it�s your best option, specially if you want to make it more formal, because you could always write the ol� Dear ______________ . I was investigating the same to write a business letter and was told this.

5 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yes, you can use "to whom it may concern" or "Dear sir/madam." both are acceptable options. Although, if you know the surname of the person involved, that would even be better. Also, it may sound outdated but it is in fact, very professional (or/and formal) sounding.

5 Jan 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Thanks, Gaby and Zora.
I don�t know to whom the boy�s mother wants to send the report so I will write �To whom it may concern�.
Thanks again.
Anna

5 Jan 2009