Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Question    

Grammar Question

sally259
United Kingdom

Grammar Question

Please could somebody explain the following to me?  Thank you.

1.  The cinema has been open since 1950.

2.  The cinema was opened in 1950.

Why doesn �t �open � finish with -ed as the past participle in 1, but it does in 2.  I know the second sentence is a passive sentence but what is the first?  Thank you for any replies. 

10 Apr 2012      

mododdou
Morocco

the first "open" is an adjective while the second "opened" is a past participle.cheers

10 Apr 2012     

olgavillanua
Spain

Hi Sally!

In the second example -opened- is the past participle of a passive sentence whereas in the first one -open- is just an adjective.

I hope my explanation makes it clearer for you.

10 Apr 2012     

monicablt
Romania

Yes, that �s right !

1st sentence is active : 
present perfect of "to be" + open (adjective), 
meaning that the cinema opened in 1950 and it has been so since 1950 (i.e. it �s still open)

2nd sentence is passive, but for the verb "open" active voice can be used with no difference in meaning, which stays passive anyway:

The cinema was opened in 1950 = The cinema opened in 1950

10 Apr 2012     

ironik
Australia

the verb- to open, is an action verb and happens only once, that �s why we can �t say "The cinema has been opened since 1950." It �s completely wrong.

However, we can say "it has been open since 1950", because it refers to a continuous state

Also, when you say "the cinema was opened in 1950", you can expect such a sentence afterwards: "..and it was closed in 1990." You can �t do that for the present perfect sentence.

I hope this and the other explanations has been helpful Smile

10 Apr 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Sally!

Just take a look at this headline from the Guardian online:

France �s presidential duel has been opened up by Fran�ois Hollande �s triple threat

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/05/france-presidential-election-duel

10 Apr 2012     

sally259
United Kingdom

Thank you all for your answers.  They have helped me a lot.

11 Apr 2012