Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > verb study    

verb study

jennyhdu
France

verb study

Hello!

I need some help...I have a problem with the present continuous. Do we write "I am studing or I am studying"?  I know that play becomes "I am playing" and that cry becomes "I am crying" so I think that the right answer is "I am studying" but I am not sure... one of my student told me that her teacher writes "I am studing" is that correct???

Thanks for your help! have a nice day!

Jenny

13 Apr 2012      

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

It is "studying".

I �d also like to say that after 18 years teaching class that is a very common excuse used by students who don �t like to admit they made a mistake. Don �t doubt yourself or your abilities.

13 Apr 2012     

jennyhdu
France

Thank you so much for your answer Zora. You are probably right, they always try to  find excuses. As a Tutor I have already seen a great amount of mistakes on my students notebooks so now I �m very careful!

Thanks for your help!

13 Apr 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Here is my list of -YI- WORDS:
-ying - common words: bullying, burying, buying, carrying, copying, crying, destroying, displaying, drying, dying, enjoying, flying, frying, hurrying, lying, laying, marrying, paying, playing, laying, lying, replying, saying, spraying, spying, staying, studying, tidying, trying, worrying

-ying - more words: accompanying, annoying, applying, amplifying, betraying, claying, clarifying, classifying, complying, conveying, denying, employing, envying, fancying, graying, glorifying, horrifying, identifying, justifying, jockeying, lobbying, modifying, multiplying, mystifying, mummifying, notifying, obeying, occupying, petrifying, portraying, praying, purifying, qualifying, satisfying, specifying, simplifying, supplying, surveying, terrifying, tying, safetying, varying, verifying

581 -ying words here: http://www.morewords.com/  search for: *ying

-iing words:
alibiing, safariing, skiing, taxiing

You may make a poster/bookmark for your kids. They will remember the spelling much better then.

13 Apr 2012     

nataliaalmoines
Spain

rule is clear  always   y+ing     study  studying
                        play    playing

die      dying
lie       lying

13 Apr 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

I suppose the student mixed the spelling of the past/present simple and the gerund...
studied, he studies, they study .... but studying
Quite common...

13 Apr 2012