Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > name of a game in english    

name of a game in english

navarrovizcaino
Spain

name of a game in english

hi everyone!!! i hope you are having a great sunday!

I need your help, I �m planning a game for me students and i don �t know its name in english. it is called "alto el lapiz" in spanish. does anyone know its english version??? for those of you who dont understand spanish, it is a game where you choose a letter and students need to write words from different categories (animlas, countries, food, means of transport, etc)  starting with that letter. 

many thanks!!!!

15 Apr 2012      

olaola
Italy

I think is " alphabeth game"

15 Apr 2012     

papagallo
Turkey

http://www.billybear4kids.com/games/online/alphabet/alphabet.htm

Check this site. It might be useful.

15 Apr 2012     

kalimonika
Spain

Hi, I think the English name of that game is Scattergories. Actually the game consists on writing one category of words ( for example "fruits" ) and write as many of those as you can, but there are different versions and you can propose several categories instead of one to make the game more interesting and funnier.

Hope I �m helpful. M�nica

15 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Mnica, Scattergories is a brand name for an old parlor game called Categories. You have a grid with a category at the top of each column, and a letter at the beginning of each row, and the players must think of a word from each category beginning with each letter given. Many of our boxed games are taken from old parlor games.

Bruce

15 Apr 2012     

dianac4
Colombia

Hi Monica, in my country we call that game stop (Both, English and Spanish version) Bye.

15 Apr 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello Navarrovizcaino,

Like Bruce, I call the game "Categories", too.

If you wish, send me your e-mail and I �ll send you some of my Worksheets which are the basis for �Games� using lists of more than 200 English Categories.  It will save you time and work thinking of them.

Teachers who are also my English �students� enjoy them very much, because they are challeging.

Les

15 Apr 2012     

margo lanius
Italy

I call it the alphabet game

15 Apr 2012     

margo lanius
Italy

I call it the alphabet game

15 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I used to play this in pubs when I was a student. We would sit in a circle, and take it in turns to come up with an item in the same category, e.g. types of cheese. We would clap hands together, then down on the table and you only had one clap to come up with an answer. When we changed the topic, we would say, �Names of, types of.....car � etc. We called it �categories. � What simple fun we had back then!

15 Apr 2012     

Maja O.
Poland

Hi,

In Poland we know this game very well and it has a strange name" Countries and cities"Smile.

15 Apr 2012     

1    2    Next >