Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what do we call it?    

what do we call it?

jarek2011
Poland

what do we call it?

I �ve got 2 quick questions this time.

1. What do we call an activity when students attend (audit) another school/ a course of study in order to find out whether they want to study at that school in the future. Such "audit/ inspection" takes up to 2 days and students who graduate from lower-secondary school take part in it - they "audit/ examine/ inspect" a secondary school of their choice. Is there a word for it in English?

2. as teachers we are bound to have inspections in breaks - that is we look after schoolkids in breaks/ step in when students quarrel/ fight etc. Is this activity called an inspection in English? Can I say: I am on inspection/ on duty now?

I am waiting impatiently for your answers :)

22 Apr 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1) I �m not sure about this one! Here, kids transferring from primary to secondary (aged 11) get to visit the schools available, but it �s not compulsory. Usually, all that happens is that there is an �open day � or �open evening � when they, with their parents, can come and look at the school. Staff put on various activities - e.g. a science experiment or a French breakfast.
2) On duty.

22 Apr 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you very much Cunliffe

as far as no.2 is concerned I have always used the phrase "on duty" but a co-teacher was convinced that "on duty" was incorrect and in the end I started to doubt myself

22 Apr 2012     

foose1
United States

1.    A campus tour. 

22 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

We say:

1. Open Days

2. On duty (teacher on duty - talk to the teacher on duty - I �m on duty to today - who is the duty teacher today - who is on duty today) 

Cheers

Jayho

22 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �d say I �m supervising when I �m on duty not inspecting.
Sophia

22 Apr 2012