Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > See or look at?    

See or look at?

Minka
Slovenia

See or look at?

Can a native speaker or two please help me a bit? I got corrected in an exercise that I wrote. My instruction "See the example" was changed into "Look at the example."

Are they both correct? Is one of them wrong?

Thanks. Have a great day.

27 Apr 2012      

Anna P
Brazil

Check these sites:

27 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

Thanks, Anna.
I know the difference between SEE and LOOK and WATCH. I �m talking about a specific phrase here. I think I �ve seen "See the example" in exercises and I �m wondering if it �s a correct phrase or not. 
I think SEE is often used when one thing refers to nother. Like:
See the notes at the bottom of the page. 
Unplug the device. See the picture.

27 Apr 2012     

juliag
Japan

Hi there,

I �m a native speaker and I would use both "See the example" and "Look at the example." I think they�re both fine, though I would probably use "Look at the example" if I was talking to my class and "See the example" if I was writing an essay or something, because it is more concise.

In the example you give, I personally think either would be fine, but maybe the person who corrected you thought "Look at the example" would be easier for your students to understand.

Hope this helps and have a nice day,
Julia

27 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

Yes, it helps. Thanks. Smile

27 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

See the example sounds fine to me (though I �m not a native speaker:)
Here �s a reference from a dictionary:

see - look up information

4 [transitive] (used in orderssee something to look at something in order to find informationSee page 158.

27 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would say that see the example refers to an attachment or appendix.  Look at the example, it �s up there on the board. They are both right, it �s just a question of nuance.

27 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you all!

27 Apr 2012