Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > in water or in the water?    

in water or in the water?

lazzy
Vietnam

in water or in the water?

hi guys
 i need your help coz there is a quarrel  between me and my friends for this sentence :
What is the biggest animal in water/ in the water?
so which one is correct? thanks in advanced

5 May 2012      

yanogator
United States

"in the water" is the correct choice.

Also, it should be "thanks in advance"

Bruce

5 May 2012     

alexziaa
France

both options  can be used, but it depends.
Mostly � �the � � article  is used.

6 May 2012     

foose1
United States

I agree with alexziaa.    What is the biggest animal that lives in water?   Would work for me.  I stumbled a bit when I read yanogator �s response.  Not that he isn �t correct.  It �s just that the question needed to be changed a bit and I too would have said the same at first but then again I have never heard anyone ask the question, "what is the biggest animal in water."
Looking at a pond or some body of water.  I would say, "what is the biggest animal in the water."  subsitute water for sea.    

John

6 May 2012     

anselmoaugusto
Brazil

In terms of speaking, it can be accepted. As you know, we constantly break the rules when we chat, specialy the native speakers. On the other hand, in a writing situation, the article must be used before common nouns. We do not use it before proper nouns (although there are a few exceptions).

Anselmo.

6 May 2012     

lazzy
Vietnam

what about this one? 

6 May 2012     

douglas
United States

The book is correct.

7 May 2012