Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > 2 questions    

2 questions

jarek2011
Poland

2 questions

I �ve got 2 questions concerning 2 actions and their names in English

1. What do you call an action in English when sb who wears glasses "corrects" them when their slip off/ down their nose. "Correct" is obviously an incorrect word - so what would you call it

2. Imagine a swivel chair and a stick or handle that is under the seat. You move the handle to operate the chair so you go up and down. What  do you call that action in English? Going up/ down in a chair? My students sometimes do it in the lessons and I want to put a stop to that behaviour by addressing it in clear English.

8 May 2012      

Pinky Makus
Canada

Could it be the verb adjust?

ad�just/əˈjəst/

Verb:
  1. Alter or move (something) slightly in order to achieve the desired fit, appearance, or result.
  2. Permit small alterations or movements so as to allow a desired fit, appearance, or result to be achieved.

You could say:

Stop adjusting your chairs.
Stop moving your chairs.
Stop playing with your chairs.

If it is a real problem can you get some different chairs?

8 May 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

I thnik that the verb adjust sounds fine in these contexts. Thank you very much for your help!

8 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Pinky Makus is right - adjust a swivel chair. But you would say what she suggests, also �Leave your chair alone! � �Stop messing about with your chair! �

As for the first question - mm, very interesting. I wear glasses but I �m not sure about it. I suppose it �s because nobody ever mentions it. Maybe �push your glasses back up. � 

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

If those were regular chairs, I �d say stop fidgeting.

Stop fiddling with the handle?

Sophia

8 May 2012     

douglas
United States

"Stop raising and lowering your chairs."

and I think I agree with "push your glasses back up"--that �s what first came to mind.

Douglas

8 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree with all the answers given. I first thought of "adjust your glasses", but that is usually used for a small movement, such as changing the way they sit on your ears, etc.

Bruce

8 May 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much for all your answers and help!

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I suddenly remembered Johnny English Reborn when he did that with the chair:)))) Oh, that is so a must watch:)
Sophia

8 May 2012