Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Speaking    

Speaking

mirelli
Brazil

Speaking

Hi Friends!!!

I �d like to know what do you do to meke your students to speak, from elementary to advanced, I mean, I teach them but I think it �s good to share information.

Thank you so much!!!!

17 May 2012      

dorothyg
Hong Kong

Hi!

One of the things I do to get my students to speak is start off the lesson asking them about their weekend or what they did yesterday night (or during particular holidays if they just came back after one). This gets them to speak in real time and also develops their confidence and helps them overcome shyness.

Another thing you could do is integrate reading and speaking skills together, such as jigsaw reading. Students can be divided into groups with 2-4 people in a group. Each student has a different text (or one long text can be divided into four parts) together with a worksheet - like a chart covering info on all texts. Each student needs to read their own text and fill in the chart. After that you can take away their texts. Students would now have a chart with all the information from the texts plus 2/3 empty charts for them to fill in. In their groups, each student, with the help of information from the chart, recount their text to the other group members while the others fill in the information.

Getting students to do presentations on random topics is also another way to get them to speak and build confidence.

Hope this helps! :)

17 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Lots of ideas for you here my dear friend!Smile
http://busyteacher.org/10274-what-every-speaking-teacher-needs-to-know.html

18 May 2012     

papadeli
Greece

This site is very heplful ...

Greetings from Greece,

18 May 2012     

dafodil
Portugal

Thanks a lot, Mariethe. It �s an interesting site!

18 May 2012     

dafodil
Portugal

Students like speaking about topics they are interested in and in groups. They like to interact with one another and develop activities similiar to real ones. So you can divide them in groups with a definite role for each one.

18 May 2012