Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > MAKE OR DO?     

MAKE OR DO?

yanogator
United States

@ Daisee, what you say is reasonable, but if it is just make or do, then it �s a faulty question, since we don �t say "do a degree".

Bruce

30 May 2012     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Some people also say "get a degree".

30 May 2012     

lurdesilva
Portugal

I �d rather say "I �m doing some research on..."

30 May 2012     

Daisee
Vietnam

@ Bruce

i hear English speakers say i am doing a degree    and i am going to do a degree.  i think it is very informal but it is used.  if the question asks for make or do then maybe the examiners are including infomal versions.

i also found this
 In university I learned that we say to do a degree in X http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/46667/take-a-degree-or-do-a-degree

and this
I�d like to do my long-delayed Masters degree at a US University http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x880539

and this which is on a British university FAQ page

and this too

and also these
I�d like to do a degree in Chemistry at some point
I�ll probably do a PhD

As we can easily see, it is used.  There are also variants on obtain a degree such as get a degree, take a degree.  With out the context of the Q we do not know if the examiners are asking for grammatically right answers or what is actually spoken.  Or if they want American english or British English, there might be a difference with these countries.

30 May 2012     

Errie
Japan

@Giovanni,

Thnx!

30 May 2012     

< Previous   1    2