Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The Queen ´s English Society to fold    

The Queen ´s English Society to fold

yanogator
United States

As for semi-colons, Sophia, I just tell people never to use them, because a period can always be used instead, thereby eliminating the need to remember when and how to use a semi-colon.

Alex, I definitely see Norma Loquendi as the dominant force in English, and I �m gradually becoming less resistant to it. That �s mighty difficult for an old curmudgeon like me!
Bruce

5 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Curmudgeon - a fabulous word! It derives from the French �coeur mechant � - bad heart. These days it means a sweet old boy, a bit stuck in his ways. If the cap fits, Yanogator...

5 Jun 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Not too sure about that derivation, Lynne. I �d always assumed it was a Scots word originally, a �mudgeoune � or �murgeon � being a facial contortion or grimace (like �mugging �). By the way, I �ve just learned that the word �curmur � referred to grumbling or complaining (from the Concise Scots Dictionary). Are they related? Who knows?

5 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I wonder... As often, there �ll be different stories about this. I think, Alex, your account sounds more likely.

5 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

Dictionary.com says that Johnson �s derivation of "curmudgeon" that Lynne quoted is no longer taken seriously. However, since they don �t offer a better explanation, what do they have to offer?

Bruce

5 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Aw! I �ve always quoted that with such authority and now I �ll have to stop.

6 Jun 2012     

< Previous   1    2