Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > nature path game    

nature path game

jarek2011
Poland

nature path game

I wonder what is the English name for a game that has the following rules. A game is played outdoors (best played within a wood or even a shrubbery maze) with any number of players. At the start of the game, students are divided into equal groups. The groups begin the race at the same time. A long course is set and along the course some posts/ control points are set up.  At every control post/ control point students are given a task to do  e.g.  match animals and their tracks/ identify the birds in the picture or take a look around and write down things that do not belong to the place (e.g. a lying bottle on the ground). When all the groups reach the ending point (the last control post/point) of the race, points are counted.

Do you happen to know the name of that game in English? Does it bear any similarity to games that you played (it is similar to hare and hounds, isn �t it?). In Norwegian we call it "nature path" but it is a word for word translation that does not sound right to my ear :)

11 Jun 2012      

zoemorosini
United States

The nearest I can think of is a scavenger hunt.

11 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Treasure hunt.

11 Jun 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Jarek 2011,

"Hare and Hounds" is where one person, "the Hare" runs off first, scattering small pieces of paper, (or bread-crumbs).  Ten minutes later, "The Hounds" have to follow the trail.  The first "Hound" home, (or who catches the "Hare"),  wins.

I think that some people might call your nature game a "Treasure Hunt", because you have to "find" certain things.

Why not call it a "Nature Treasure Hunt" or "Treasure Hunt in the Woods" or "Treasure Trail"?

Les

11 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Amazing ! I have never thought of a treasure hunt (scavenger hunt) although the similaritiy is striking! Thank you very much guys!

11 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

As Les is implying, it doesn �t have an official name in English, so the various suggestions you have received are good. I like Nature Treasure Hunt best.

Bruce

11 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Treasure hunt - see here for more info

11 Jun 2012     

douglas
United States

It sounds more to me like a "station run" than a treasure/scavenger hunt.  Scavenger hunts usuallly involve a list of thngs the groups are supposed to find.  It sounds like Jarek is talking about completing activities at different stations.

Station runs are very common at Boy Scout "Scout-o-ramas" in the USA.

Douglas

Edit: As Bruce says, I don�t think we have an "official" name for these activities.  However, I have heard "station run" used and it is pretty much understood by most people.
  Another (longer) option would be a "nature trail with stations"

12 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

When I was in grade 6, the class went for a few days to a camp in the mountains and did this type of stuff. It was called a "Nature Scavenger Hunt".

12 Jun 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Nature Scavenger Hunt sounds pretty good to me because kids have some tasks to do, they do not collect items only...

Treasure Hunt sounds  like "find and grab" game to my ears...

12 Jun 2012