Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > American or British English?    

American or British English?

roneim
Brazil

American or British English?

Hi, everyone!

I would suggest that the activities indicate the type of English used. Maybe an option in the description of the worksheet or a little flag.

Thanks

14 Jun 2012      

douglas
United States

And what about Australian English, Indian English, etc.? 

Though I can understand how it wcould be useful for the teacher, my personal opinion is that students will not usually be forewarned about what type of English someone will be speaking, so they should be ready for whatever comes.

Douglas

14 Jun 2012     

zailda
Brazil

What about Black American English? 

As most of the worksheets shared at the site are editable, we can easily erase the words our students don �t know or don �t fit the kind of English we teach.

BTW, in Spanish we teach kind of "International Spanish", that includes variations spoken by each one of around 30 countries. Shouldn �t we use the same pattern when teaching English?

Have a nice day!

Zailda Coirano

14 Jun 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Honestly, most of the time you can tell which dialect of English is being used by the flag of the contributor. Obviously, contributors from English-speaking countries are going to use their own dialect (e.g., I �m American, so my contributions are in American English). If the contributor is from a European. Middle Eastern, or African country, the worksheet is probably going to be British English. If the contributor is from the Americas (other than from Canada, Belize, Jamaica, Barbados, Bermuda, or Guyana or other English-speaking countries), the contribution will probably be American English. If the contributor is from India, Pakistan, or Bangladesh, the contribution will probably be British or Indian English. That leaves East Asia. Those are really the only toss-ups.

14 Jun 2012     

zailda
Brazil

...if the contributor is from Brazil it �ll probably use British English, except from a few teachers - like me - who teach American E. mainly, but also dare teach other dialects.

14 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

... and we use both

15 Jun 2012