Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English and Vietnamese vowels    

English and Vietnamese vowels

lxthinh71
Vietnam

English and Vietnamese vowels

Dear colleagues,

I am doing a thesis about the teaching and learning of English vowels. I need some quotes, and reliable references, books, websites, resources, etc of the English and Vietnamese vowels.

Would you be kind enough to help me?

I appreciate your valuable help very much. Thank you very much for your time and kindness.

Have a nice day!

Le Xuan Thinh

19 Jun 2012      

Errie
Japan

Hello,

Check out this.......I know for sure that you �ll find what you are looking for when it comes to teach vowels, sounds etc. David is the man!

errie

19 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Le Xuan Thinh

In 2005 I did some work on difficulties in pronunciation encountered by Vietnamese speakers of English in Australia as part of my TESOL qualification.  I have listed some of the references I found very useful at the time but these are dated now and you can find more recent information here

BINH, D. & GAGE, W. (1975) (1975). Vietnamese-English phrasebook with useful words list. Virginia: Centre for Applied Linguistics

HONEY, P. (1987). �Vietnamese Speakers�. In SWAN, M. & SMITH, B. (eds.) Learner English: A teacher�s guide to interference and other problems. Cambridge University Press.

JONES, F. (1999). The difficulties Vietnamese learners face when learning English pronunciation.  Proceedings of 1999 M.Teach Post Internship Conference, University of Sydney, 27-29 September 1999. http://alex.edfac.usyd.edu.au/archived%20conferences/conference99/student_papers/Jones.htm

NGUYEN, T. & INGRAM, J. (2004). A corpus-based analysis of transfer effects and connected speech processes in Vietnamese English.  Proceedings of the 10th Australian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, Macquarie University, Sydney, December 8-10 2004.

Good luck!

Cheers

Jayho

20 Jun 2012     

lxthinh71
Vietnam

Dear Jayho,

Thanks a lot. The link doesn �t work. http://alex.edfac.usyd.edu.au/archived%20conferences/conference99/student_papers/Jones.htm.

Good bye and good luck!

Le Xuan Thinh

20 Jun 2012