Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need Help!    

Need Help!

Shereen Shawky
Egypt

Need Help!

Dear all,

Please need help with this.

How can I differentiate in meaning between:

I �ve been working here for six years. (Present Perfect Continuous)

I �ve worked here for six years. (Present Perfect Simple)

And could you please give me some tips on how to differentiate between these two

tenses as they both express an action that started in the past and has finished

recently or still going on until the time being.

Thanks in advance Smile

4 Jul 2012      

simonemotta
Brazil

Hi there,

The difference between both is the aspect. 

On the first example:" I �ve been working here for six years" the continuous aspect tells us that this situation is still true today. But on the second example "I �ve worked here for six years" the perfect aspect tells us that the situation is or has just finished. 

That will almost always be the case regarding continuous tenses: it focuses on the duration of the action .And on the perfect tenses the focus is on the completion of the action.

I hope this will help you.

Good luck!

4 Jul 2012     

Shereen Shawky
Egypt

Thanks a lot simonemotta for your help   Smile

4 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

I definitely disagree with simone on this one, because of a particular situation in your example. When the sentence involves a duration of time, the present perfect and present perfect continuous are almost the same, and neither of them indicates that the activity has ended. However, without a duration, the present perfect simple does indicate an end.

I have lived in my house for eight years.
I have been living in my house for eight years.
These sentences are essentially the same, except the continuous has some emphasis on the activity over time, rather than just a statement of fact. It personalizes the activity a little.

I �ve worked on this assignment for three hours.
I �ve been working on this assignment for three hours.
Again, essentially the same, except you feel a little more sympathy for the person in the second sentence, because you feel the work more.

If you see me with paint on my shirt and in my hair, I might say "I �ve been painting the living room." This emphasizes the activity over time, and doesn �t indicate whether or not I have finished. When I am ready to start painting the dining room, I might say "I �ve painted the living room". This tells you that that room is finished.

Bruce

4 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Bruce has nailed this one. A very thorough explanation.

4 Jul 2012     

Shereen Shawky
Egypt

Dear Bruce & cunliffe,

Really thanks a dozen for this clarification, I really was in need for this clarification.

God bless you all  Smile

4 Jul 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Bruce is correct.

My short answer is this: when using the verbs work or live, present perfect and present perfect continuous are interchangeable and have the same meaning.

I �ve lived (or worked) here for 10 years = I �ve been living (or working) here for 10 years.

Mind you, this only works for these two verbs.

4 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Philip, I was nervous when I saw you giving a short answer, since your answers are usually quite thorough. (That�s a compliment, not a complaint). However, I disagree with you. As I said, it works when a period of time is given.

I�ve taught various things for 30 years.
I�ve been teaching various things for 30 years.

I�ve cooked my whole life.
I�ve been cooking my whole life.

Bruce

4 Jul 2012