Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar Correction:    

Grammar Correction:

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Grammar Correction:

My Dear and Respected Colleagues:

Could you please tell me whether the sentence below is correct or incorrect:

ï¿½Mary is very clever. She found the solution to the problem immediately and she�s only seventeen.�

I think it should be:  ��Mary is very clever. She finds the solution to the problem immediately and she�s only seventeen.�

My point of view is that it is a statement about Marry and all sentence should be in present(finds) instead of past(found). But my classmate says: " I think that the action occurred in the simple past and that found should be used (not finds as suggested)]. "

What do you say?

I �ll be thankful.

17 Jul 2012      

manonski (f)
Canada

Your friend is right. It is the past tense that you should use.  Your example refers to a specific problem (the problem).
The statement explains that Mary is clever because even if she �s only seventeen, she was able to find a solution  to the problem.

To use the present, you would have to write a statement like this: Mary is very clever. She finds solutions to problems immediately and she �s only seventeen. 

17 Jul 2012     

Apodo
Australia

I think it can also be in the present simple. She habitually finds the solution to any problem that is presented to her, and it can be singular when used this way. The tense depends on the context.

She finds the solution to the problem immediately and she �s only seventeen.

18 Jul 2012     

sadeel
Palestine

it is past tense,  i agree with "manonski (f) it �s about a specific problem and she �s not always finding the solutions.

18 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Past simple.
If you mean habitually and want to use the present, you �d have to say, �she finds the solution to problems ... � 

Edit:Oops, I�ve pretty much just repeated what manonski said...

18 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Apodo is right that it can be the present, meaning "in each situation, she finds the solution to the problem", but the past would be more common in this case, since it seems to mean one specific problem.

Bruce

18 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, on reflection, �she finds the solution to the problem � is OK. Quite idiomatic usage. But it does sound as if that sentence refers to one specific incident.

18 Jul 2012     

lili62
Argentina

In my opinion, if you can use any other verbal tense, PRESENT PERFECT would be better. I think the action is completed but you don �t have any specific time about the action that has occured (you don �t clarify when Mary found the solution). And you have an emphasis on the point that she �s only 17. I don �t know if you can only use simple past and present simple, but I think simple present shouldn �t be used because it refers to a different meaning ( I agree with cunliffe). I hope this will be useful for you. Have a nice day! 

18 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

I disagree, lili62, mainly because of the word "immediately". It isn �t usually used with the present perfect. We would more likely say "quickly", or something like that. With "immediately", the simple past definitely sounds more natural. Since this is talking about a single incident in the past, the simple past is the best tense for it.

Bruce

18 Jul 2012     

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Thank you very much, All of you; very helpful indeed!

18 Jul 2012