Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > past tense    

past tense

hema.chandra
India

past tense

change it to past tense.

She does not know what to put in the mix.

She didn �t knew what to put in the mix.
or

She didn �t know what to put in the mix.
please explain

2.is star countable or uncountable & why?

18 Jul 2012      

yanogator
United States

Simple past negative uses "didn �t" with the bare infinitive, just as simple present negative uses "doesn �t" with the bare infinitive.

She didn �t know what to put in the mix.

"Star" is a countable noun, because you can count stars. There are three stars in the belt of the constellation Orion. I think that what is confusing you is the fact that we can �t count all the stars in the sky (except in a cute joke that I know in Spanish, which only works in Spanish). That doesn �t affect the fact that the noun is a countable noun. Similarly, "drop of water" and "grain of sand" are both countable.

Bruce

18 Jul 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I always tell my students when using do for questions or negative in simple present and simple past, "The change goes on the do, not the main verb." It works both for the third person singular in simple present and for the simple past. So, yes, Bruce is absolutely correct.
He is also correct that stars are countable, both the celestial and Hollywood kinds. He also points out that units of uncountable/non-count nouns ARE countable, but I �ll generalize his specifics.

18 Jul 2012     

libertybelle
United States

An easier way of remembering is:

When the helping verb (auxiliary verb)   didn �t is is past tense
The main verb  know is in present tense:

Do, does, didn �t, did are helping verbs.

18 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

No, that isn �t a present tense. It �s the bare infinitive, which happens to have the same form as the present tense.

Bruce

18 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, yes, Bruce; bare infinitives, countables and uncountables, all very good, but what about the cute Spanish joke? Come on, Bruce please. 

18 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

OK, here it is. For all of you who don �t know Spanish, I apologize for taking up space. Many of you might know this joke already.

�Cuantas estrellas hay en el cielo?

Answer in white font, so highlight it to read it. >> cincuenta <<

Confused? Now highlight this, to explain the answer. >> sin cuenta <<

18 Jul 2012     

majocasciaro
Argentina

Hema. Chandra, are you an English teacher???? If so, you cannot be asking such questions...

18 Jul 2012     

hema.chandra
India

Thank you for all your replies & brief explanations.

20 Jul 2012