Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Davis ´ method (the gift of dylsexia)    

Davis ´ method (the gift of dylsexia)

letizia
Italy

Davis ´ method (the gift of dylsexia)

has anyone of you ever heard or experienced Davis ´ method ? I ´m really interested about it and I would like to try it with one of my dyslexis student. I read Davis book (The gift of dyslexia) and I found it really interesting. I ´d like to know your opinion or experience. Thank for your precious help!

21 Jul 2012      

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Interestingly enough I used play-do models for letters when I taught in a special-ed class a few years back. That was for a multi-sensory approach as opposed to Davis ´ symbol mastery. It was useful for me and as Davis ´ himself says ... it causes no harm. It ´s great fun at any rate.
The main point is that there is no conclusive evidence as yet to support his theories or methods and by that I mean published results in reputable journals.

I would be more than happy to borrow some of his techniques for creativity in the classroom but would not use them to sort dyslexia since there is not much teaching and honing of the skills of reading. It ´s an alternative approach and should be used in conjunction with other more established techniques.

The biggest teaching tip from his work comes from the thinking of dyslexia as a gift and if the students can go with that, then it has helped.

IMHO

How would you introduce it to your student?

31 Jul 2012