Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HELP!!    

HELP!!

kjimega
Costa Rica

HELP!!

Hi! I �m going to start teaching children of 3 years old in a public institution that just opened 5 months ago and they don �t have a program. I don �t have any exprience about it. If you have any idea of how to start please help me.

6 Aug 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

Three-year-olds have shorter attention span, so regular 45-minute-lessons are difficult and shorter ones can work, unless you have a several-hour schedule to keep up with, in which case it �s more like daycare than language course. They respond to movement, pictures, objects, songs and very short stories (TPR technique works with them but in short versions). It would help if you chose a coursebook such as Tiny Talk or something, just to keep you on track and help you with the knowledge of what and how much such young kids can cope with. Super Simple Songs (check them out on YouTube) are really good and kids respond very nicely to them. I also like cbeebies materials a lot. Don �t expect them to master any coloring worksheets, not to mention matching or adding words, although child prodigies do a lot of that, even memory with more than 8-12 cards is a huge success for them. Puzzles are still difficult, except for floor ones with not too many pieces. But using real objects, adding missing parts into a picture puzzle, recognising named objects - that �s fine. It gets very physical (don �t get me wrong, pls) because you have to really be joyous, active, funny, act out, change voices etc. They need structure and discipline, yet it must never seem so - if you earn their interest and love and gain their respect, they respond wonderfully and really learn fast, and then discipline is natural. They need order, but also kaindness and nurturing. For example, teaching body parts using a fluffy, cuddly teddybear is just what they need, and then adding actions by jumping, dancing, running WITH the teddy - just perfect! It is a really difficult and responsible task, but worth every second of it. It is a challenge! I hope some of this helps you and do find a way to enjoy yourself along the way!

6 Aug 2012     

naky72
Ukraine

I hope these sites will help you

6 Aug 2012     

kjimega
Costa Rica

THANKS ANITA FOR THE ADVICES AND NAKY FOR THE WEB SITES 

6 Aug 2012     

roboque
Costa Rica

ARE YOU FROM COSTA RICA? IF YOU ARE GOING TO WORK IN A PUBLIC INSTITUTIO YOU HAVE TO WORK USING THE PROGRAMS FROM THE MEP. THEY ARE ONLINE ON THE MEP WEBSITE. 

6 Aug 2012     

kjimega
Costa Rica

Yes, I am. The thing is that they just began 5 months ago working with children of 3 years old and there is no program.

7 Aug 2012