Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ANY IDEAS?    

ANY IDEAS?

Greek Professor
Greece

ANY IDEAS?

HELLO EVERYONE,

PROBLEM!  I have a student who studies VERY hard... when asked the vocabulary orally she knows them by heart.. even synonyms and opposites.. the same goes with grammar.. orally she can tell you everything.

BUT !!!!! when it comes to writing a test ....she does nothing... NO she doesnt have dyslexia... she just can get the answers right when she is writing...

WHAT CAN BE DONE? I�ve tried many ways to help her but..in vain.

does anyone have any ideas ......PLEASE!!!..

Ill welcome any possible answer..

Thanks in advance..

Greek Professor

12 Jan 2009      

alien boy
Japan

First thought: have you told her she can talk to herself before writing the answer? She just has to be careful she doesn�t tell everyone else.

Many of my Japanese students do this & it helps them a lot.

12 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

In the case of vocabulary, what happens is she "knows" the words but she cannot use them because all that is "passive vocabulary". All of it is in her/his  memory but it has never become active because it has never been used.

I never make my students "study" grammar rules or vocabulary. They have to learn them through practice (by using all that).

The solution?
In my opinion, you should revise your methodology and try to transform all that "information" into real knowledge by making your student use all that through:

- giving opinion about certain topics (making your st use those new words)
- discussing items
- role-playing real life situations
- listening to material where the words are used
- writing about certain topics using that voc/grammar
- doing ex using the new grammar
among many other activities

A language should be used to be learned.

Hope it helps  Smile

12 Jan 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thank u ..
but have tried all the above..

12 Jan 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi Greek Professor
I don�t know what level we are talking about.
She could start with words using for example crosswords.
It sounds like your s has no problem with comprehension. If that�s so you could give her simple texts where she/he has to write very simple answers. From there on you can continue building up her sentence writing.

Hope this helps

Tisha

12 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Can she write? Is she almost illiterate - I had a stepson who would be close to the girl�s description, he was almost illiterate, wasn�t dyslexic - just missed a certain amount of help from his (awful) teacher early in primary/elementary school & took until mid high school for it to be recognised & remedied. His aural/verbal comprehension & creativity were excellent.

Basically he had to take on lots of writing practice for homework in addition to his normal workload to get through. Time consuming but it worked.

12 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

One solution, and it�s not all the innovative or creative but I have a student who has a learning disability in language (it�s not really dyslexia according to his mother but I am at a loss to say what it is since it only affects his "reading abilities" and not math skills...)

Anyways, I am rambling.. but copying the word out helps. I know it sounds second grader type stuff but I have found that it�s the only thing that works for my student... he knows all the grammar behind stuff but spelling is his weak point and copying stuff three or four times seems to be the only way to get him to sort of remember...  

12 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

That�s just what my boy had to do... thanks for phrasing it properly!

12 Jan 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Level advanced..
No she isnt illiterate.. On the contrary...
She can give u everthing in aural form but it�s the written part that has a HUGE problem..
While doing a test she knows all the words, {lets say} but which word to choose...well here we have a problem
Grammar......doing aural testing: {not theory} she does well,, again when tested in writing it just doesn�t happen..

I have been correcting her work in the last hour and i have tried many ways in trying to help her...
Yes i have given her extra work to do.. to practice BUT!!!

12 Jan 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Guys,
i really appreciate all you are doing to advise me.. Ill {again} do all that all of you have said..
and time will tell..

.....she writes everything down... she is a really hard worker.. and its a shame that she has to go through this..

Thanks again..

12 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Japanese studentts write everything down - this doesn�t mean they take it in....

The students that have shown the most improvement will write their definitions in English & Japanese. I have also been giving them questions related to the definitions & how to use the grammar/vocabulary as appropriate. I get them to also write the question in English & Japanese, but only the answer in English.

Maybe worth a go using her native language?

12 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >