Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEA - CULTURAL DOUBT    

NEA - CULTURAL DOUBT

PabloHenrique
Brazil

NEA - CULTURAL DOUBT

In a TV Series, I heard about NEA and I didn �t understand what is it. 

Take a look at the whole sentence:

The NEA is a loses. It accounts for a penny out of our paycheck, but he gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. 

The definition I founded on the Internet is: The National Education Association (NEA), the nation �s largest professional employee organization, is committed to advancing the cause of public education. NEA �s 3 million members work at every level of education�from pre-school to university graduate programs. NEA has affiliate organizations in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the United States.

Is that correct???

Thanks in advance!

Hugs, Paola.

24 Aug 2012      

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s from an Aaron Sorkin script from The Newsroom which actually reads: 

Fine. [to the liberal panelist] Sharon, the NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paychecks, but he [gesturing to the conservative panelist] gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. 

see here:

24 Aug 2012     

PabloHenrique
Brazil

I want to use this episode in a worksheet, but I don �t know the meaning of NEA.

24 Aug 2012     

PabloHenrique
Brazil

I want to use this episode in a worksheet, but I don �t know the meaning of NEA.

24 Aug 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/newsroom-aaron-sorkin-borrows-bit-aaron-sorkin-45501

It �s National Endowment for the Arts

Here is the dialogue you�re probably referring to.

24 Aug 2012     

PabloHenrique
Brazil

oh..thank you very much!!!

This TV Serie is Awesome! But as a non-native speaker I need to make lots of researches on the Internet to understand the Cultural Issues which they refer to.

Soon, I �m going to post The Newsroom movie worksheet.

Hugs, Paola.

24 Aug 2012