Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Angry with a group of 17-year-old students    

Angry with a group of 17-year-old students

carinita
Argentina

Angry with a group of 17-year-old students

They praised another teacher. The way they talk about it ...was as if they were telling me I was mediocre. They don �t know what is it to get up early, go to bed late finishing your work, eat food from a takeaway when you starve for a home made meal, procrastinate cleaning, procrastinate social meetings, run for the bus and so ONNN. They don �t have the slightest idea.
They don �t know what is it to feel you are loosing your nerves because half of the class didn �t pass an exam I need a pat on my back, dear colleagues
P.S. It �s not possible for me to quit that class...I need the salary

2 Sep 2012      

lbhspatriot
Poland

I think being a teacher requires you to get some thick skin. You need to remember that some poeple will like you and some will criticize everything about you - even if it feels unjust and hurts your feelings. Sorry your feelings got hurt by your class! Good you are dedicated to your job and you care (because I know teachers that don �t and it is way worse!)

How about you hear your class out? Why do they praise the other teacher, what is he/she doing that they like so much? Maybe you should try to adapt yourself a little. I am not implying that what you do is wrong, but as I said every student is different and maybe they just connected with the approach better. Try to reach out to them. Show them you care and you see them as partners in the learning process. 17 is a hard age, they feel adult and they want to have control. Maybe give them some? Of course keep the authority... but why not make them prepare a lesson once a month or something.
Get them involved and they will appreciate you! :)

Good luck :)

2 Sep 2012     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your comment! They don �t want to have control... because the "brilliant teacher", teaches them as if they were at kindergarden They told me that
I�m afraid I�ll have to find the ways to dealing with criticism
Anyway, in this case in particular, it isn�t clear for me what they want me to change I don�t have enough information to change I could ask them to be more specific

2 Sep 2012     

lbhspatriot
Poland

Well they all want to have it easy, don �t they? :) My students often complain why their younger siblings get to have "fun" homework and they have to practice grammar and do different "boring" things. It �s hard but you need to work around it :)

Nobody said teaching is going to be easy :) I know I didn �t like some of my teachers at school for completely wrong reasons and loved the ones who were just bad influence! Hope you manage.

2 Sep 2012     

carinita
Argentina

Ok Have a nice week!

2 Sep 2012     

GigiGraziano
Argentina

hi!!! I had a similar problem!!! I had a talk with them!!! I also Explain them that I will help them and I also prepare a lesson plan about values to have a better rapport with them, after that they changed a lot!! give them a try!!! stop teaching English for two classes and talk and show them if posible some video about values. if you want more information communicate with me. best wishes!!!! 

STUDENTS IN ARGENTINA ARE SOOOOOOO DIFFICULT!!!! THAT teaching is harder nowadays!!!

2 Sep 2012     

inmaaa86
Spain

Teaching sometimes is very tough. When I come to this situation I try to make the lessons funnier, for example I use songs (they love it) crosswords , pass the word and so on. They will appreciate your effort. And it is very important to arrive at agreements with them, for example you low a little bit the level of the lessons if they have a better attitude . For me this works. Good luck and best wishes!

3 Sep 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I think you are doing things well but learning is not always a fun process and 17 year old kids should already know it. You can talk to them but I am sure you have your reasons to teach your way. Don �t let them compare you to any other teacher, we are all different and have different methods. You have enough experience to know what works and what doesn �t. You cannot be playing with those kids a whole lesson although you can end your lessons with some fun activity. It �s my opinion and I want to support you because you have shown you are a good, worried, understanding teacher who doesn �t deserved to be treated that way.
My best wishes
Yolanda

3 Sep 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

different teachers have different teaching styles and students likewise have different learning styles. Tell them it �s always beneficial to have the variety. Try to talk to them about that. Also show understanding about their feelings bc they probably bonded with the previous teacher and they miss her. So don �t take that personally.
Sophia

3 Sep 2012     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for all the tips in your posts and your support! Heart See you around!

3 Sep 2012