Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just one simple click a day to give free food to the people who need it the most    

Just one simple click a day to give free food to the people who need it the most

juliag
Japan

Just one simple click a day to give free food to the people who need it the most

Hi everyone,

Hope you �re all having a good start to the week. A beautiful, sunny Monday here Tongue.

This isn �t at all ESL related, so sorry, but my friend just sent me this link and I think it �s brilliant.

All you do is visit the site each day and click and the sponsors of the site donate free food.

I �m sure some of you know about it already, but just think how much free food we could help reach the right people if we all took just 10 seconds out of our day.

Happy teaching,
Julia

2 Sep 2012      

mariannina
Italy

Done

Granny

3 Sep 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Done and I will click everyday! Thank you dear Julia for being the generous and caring soul that you are!Hug

3 Sep 2012     

Greek Professor
Greece

Done....

3 Sep 2012     

mama gisel
Indonesia

done Clap

3 Sep 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Are you sure it �s not phishing?
Sophia

3 Sep 2012     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

The "Hunger Site" is a good publicity stunt, but I have some serious concerns about it:
  • if you "click" every day for a year, that would result in the total donation of a few dollars - hardly an effective use of your time. Why not donate an hour �s pay instead?

• clicking on buttons is hardly awareness raising (though the site as a whole may be effective in that way)

• the company running it isn �t (at least last time I checked) a non-profit - they don �t take a cut of the donations, but they used to and they reserve the right to in the future. Something like this should be run by a non-profit.

• for those of who pay bandwidth charges, the cost of downloading a few sponsor-logo-heavy pages at the Hunger Site may exceed the "donation" involved!
Before you go clicking to stop hunger, you might want to reflect upon this article about the HungerSite (see below). The writer suggests that far from alleviating hunger, initiatives such as the HungerSite can actually undermine local food production and promote dependence on imported food. She also notes that the causes of hunger are rarely inadequate food, but rather corruption, inadequate distribution systems and hoarding. I �ve had an association with the euphemistically named "international development" sector for the last seven years, and there is much in the article that reflects my own experience.

The HungerSite is intended to promote maximum feel-good for people out in cyberspace (ie. in rich countries), and maximum market share for multinationals. But what of its supposed beneficiaries in newly/un-industrialised countries?? I �m worried that at best they don �t benefit and at worst they �re further oppressed.

I have decided against clicking on the HungerSite and instead have chosen to distribute this email to anyone who sends me the web address (I �ve now had it numerous times!!).

For those of us with not much time and/or family commitments which mean we can �t get involved in full-on every-day campaign or solidarity work, there are still plenty of small things that we can do on a daily or irregular can �t get involved in full-on every-day campaign or solidarity work, there are still plenty of small things that we can do on a daily or irregular basis - an hour here or there packing boxes for East Timor, a couple of phone calls on a campaign phone tree, a bit of typing or enveloping for a local environment group, a letter to the local paper or helping a refugee family down the street. If you �re looking to help out and feel good, I commend these sorts of activities over the HungerSite any day!

At the very least, if you want to do good for people who are hungry, then leave the HungerSite alone ...

(not wwritten by me but just a smallsample of what I found)

3 Sep 2012