Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Teaching Word 7    

Teaching Word 7

Jayho
Australia

Teaching Word 7

Hi everyone

I have a problem with a capital P.

I have to teach a resume and job applications 10 week subject to a class of 20 intermediate level migrant ladies, aged 45 upwards, most who have never used a computer before. Alas, the resumes and applications must be produced via a computer.  It�s part of the overarching ESL course and computer literacy is not a pre-requisite but assumed.  The learning outcomes relate to the resume/letter not to computer literacy so I have a double barrel problemo here.  Plus, it�s not just one resume or letter, but includes variations to the master documents

I�m wondering if you know about any print based resources that are simple and specifically aimed at word processing resumes and application letters because that would make my life a lot easier.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Sep 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

First, mention to your boss that you are going to need to teach some basic computer skills to these students. There was a fundamental error in assuming computer proficiency, and either that needs to be addressed before registration, or training will need to be worked into a future class. A redesign is in order.

However, you �re stuck now. How long per session is each class, how many days a week,  and do you have enough computers for each student? Assuming that you have enough computers with Internet for each student, teach the very basics about a keyboard and mouse/touchpad. Teach about getting to the Internet and using search engines like Google. Google some job applications and go over the information needed.

For resumes, teach the very basics of Word 2010: opening the program, using the File tab, and Fonts, Paragraphs, and Clipboard boxes from the Home tab. Then teach about Templates, specifically Resume templates.

During the last class, have each student submit an online application to you. For homework, assuming the students have computers and printers they can use outside class, have them print a resume (or attach to an email if they have email and know how to do attachments, otherwise that �s another class).

That should be plenty for a 10-week class. Good luck!

3 Sep 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Suggest using youtube tutorials to them:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNSaxPsItAU

Sophia

3 Sep 2012     

IbuLulu
Australia

Does your organisation have access to the First Click series?  If you work for a TAFE or similar they may well already have rights to use it, it �s designed for people with no computer literacy, altho it �s not targeted at work documents, more at how to do things on the computer in general. 

3 Sep 2012     

douglas
United States

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/word2007_2010/Word-2007-2010.html

3 Sep 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi again

Well I love a challenge, particularly during a thunderstorm when you have to unplug all your electrical equipment thus no TV, movies or anything.  Thank goodness for laptop battery power and a glass of wine (or three) - hehe.

So, I have spent 2 hours creating my own super simple booklet on creating a basic resume, complete with screen dumps and graphics (coloured arrows).  It�s a basic step by step guide using the actual desired end result (i.e. Master resume) in the screen dumps - can�t get much more relevant than that.  I was inspired by this guide.

Thanks for your fantabulous suggestions.  I have checked out your links and they are all great.  Given my short timeframe, and just a mere 20 hour course, I�m only going to cover just how to do the basics of what they need to do using the step by step guides that I will personally create for each of the learning outcomes.  Really, I should have done this years ago. I often teach resume/cover letter classes and there�s always one or two students without computer skills. It�s just that this time it�s at least two thirds of the class and I just can�t give one to one for all of them like I did in the past.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I�m set now and I�m really proud of what I mustered up. 

And I�d like to thank you for taking the time to help me out in my hour of need.

I�m signing off for the night now as it is quite late here.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Sep 2012     

bethconrad
Hong Kong

I would love to have a look.  I teach in Hong Kong and this is a needed skill.

4 Sep 2012