Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how to engage students in novel reading?    

how to engage students in novel reading?

esther-stacy
China

how to engage students in novel reading?

Hi all,

I have been teaching A Christmas Carol this year, and students don �t seem to be interested in reading it. Every time when it was time to discusss the novel, i found most of the students had not finished that part yet. At the first time, i just gave a worksheet to finish before the end of the class. Today it happened again. i was so upset about that. I talked with one students why they didn �t read before the class, he said that maybe students didn �t realize the importance of novel class.so i spent the rest of class discussing why we have novel class, what can we learn from novel and how you can enjoy reading a novel more. When we finish the novel, i intend to ask students to do a stage play of the novel.

Do any of you have better ideas to motivate students to see the beauty of reading  a novel?

Thank you for sharing.

10 Sep 2012      

gilderoy_lockhart
Chile

I don �t remember enjoying reading while I was in school. Unfortunately, there are only a few students who will actually enjoy themselves while they �re at it, specially if it is the teacher who has chosen the novel they HAVE TO read. Being somewhat optimistic, I would say that they �ll learn to actually enjoy it after they have left school (and maybe university). In the meantime, what you can do is bring the novel to their level, and use other strategies: yeah, a stage play may work, but in the eyes of many teenagers, acting is just as lame as reading (don �t shoot the messenger; that �s what some of my students have told me, and it �s not just about foreign languages, it happens with their mother tongue as well.)

- Consider the use of new technologies. Ask them to split the class in groups and create a fictional twitter account (can do it offline, doesn �t have to be an actual twitter account, it �s just to get the idea) for each character and ask them to write what is happening in the book in 140 characters or less. That will have them reading at least to find out what the other twitter accounts are all about. Allow them to use acronyms and emoticons, to make it more entertaining.

- Ask them to create a puppet show with the characters. Divide roles for each group: decoration, making of the puppets, scripting. They will have to read the book to accomplish each task.

I can �t think of any more right now, it �s almost 1am here, and I �m a little tired (and hungry!). As soon as I can, I �ll get back to this post.

10 Sep 2012     

stuartallen77
China

Hello,

I have been teaching in China for ten years and can I ask what the level of your students is? I �ve taught nearly every level imaginable in China and I think that a novel like this might simply be too difficult, both linguistically and culturally.

If you really want to stick at it, then watch �A Christmas Carol � with Jim Carey (2009) with your class. It is fun and sticks quite closely to the book, and in this way, your students will get a good feel for the story, the characters and the imagery that Dickens was trying to portray of Victorian London. 

Following the film, your stude ts should show a far greater interest and understanding in the book.

Hope this helps,

Stuart Allen
Teaching in Xi �an, China

10 Sep 2012     

rainyp
Bangladesh

well, let me share what i do before starting a novel or any reading. I do some pre-reading. Ask students, if they like reading or not, if they read novel, talk bout their fav books or novel etc to motivate them, then some idea bout da novel we �l read etc hope it �ll work :)

10 Sep 2012     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

The first thing I would check is reading level. The target of any reading is to understand 95% of the words in the text. If the level is any lower than 90% then understanding hinders appreciation.

If level is OK then why wait till end of term. Do short role plays and act single scenes from the book would be my second option.

11 Sep 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

A Christmas Carol from Dickens? Yawn.

I think the mandatory reading of the so-called classics is the best way to put students off reading forever. Why not use a more engaging and contemporary book?

I think it is is more important that they read instead instead of what they read.

11 Sep 2012     

gilderoy_lockhart
Chile

"I think it is is more important that they read instead instead of what they read."

Totally agree with this. For instance, I got my hands on some reading material from an important publishing company, and I asked my students to choose the book they found most appealing (from mystery to sci-fi to historical to romantic novel). So, they read what they wanted from a range of books I offered. This gives you SOME control over what they read, but not TOTAL control, which is what some students resent.

If it is, as said, mandatory reading, then try to make it "less boring" for them. As I stated before, when you split the work then it makes it so much easier on the students. Ask them to read some chapters and write "tweets" about it. Could even be in real time. But do not present it as "one of the classics", as it might put them off before starting.

11 Sep 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I think asking pupil to read a mandatory book is always boring - for the pupils because they usually don �t like the book in question and for the teacher who has to talk about a book most of his/her pupils didn �t read...
try to find out where their interests lie and find a book they will like.
some popular teens � novels:
harry potter
twlight
hunger games
pretty little liars - for girls especially
http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/young-adult

otherwise you can find a less modern book/novel that was adapted for the cinema and study the book and the film - look at the differences, similarities, study specific scenes... that way they don �t have to read the whole book - especially if it �s written in old-fashioned english - and still can talk about the story...

if you have specific books to teach them - a list giving by your supervisor... - a good incentive to make them read is small/short tests at the beginning of each lesson (or chapter): ask them 5 questions about small but important details that they need to know/remember to understand the rest of the story :( but that �s definitely not a very pedagogic way to make them love reading :(((

good luck!

11 Sep 2012