Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Copying other people´s work word by word is allowed in this website.    

Copying other people´s work word by word is allowed in this website.

puspita
Indonesia

Copying other people´s work word by word is allowed in this website.

Okay, I get it.

Copying someone�s work (word by word) is accepted in this website by majority as long as you change the typefont and use slightly different pictures. The act is not considered stolen.  Most people here consider the act as �sharing�.  Do not worry about giving additional value to the work (different vocabs, varied tasks, etc.), even mentioning the source.

Probably, only me, Vickiii and Icha (as Vickiii�s example) who think differently.
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=337

Thank you for helping me understand the terms.
pus

28 Sep 2008      

frenchfrog
France

Hi, Puspita!

I think you should also see yesterday�s post: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=346
I left a message (which I may delete in the future). This topic has always been �hot� on eslprintables and will always be, I am afraid!

Frenchfrog

28 Sep 2008     

linam
Greece

THERE IS A SOLUTION TO AVOID PLAGIARISM AND STEALING

Hi everbody, I believe  that it would be best to mention in your worksheets where you get images, texts and ideas to create your powerpoints,worksheets and flashcards etc.Heart
   In this way, someone will not be  able to accuse you of  stealing someones work or  stealing from  various websites.
Thumbs Up

Linam
Cool

28 Sep 2008     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think it is impossible to mentionwhere the pictures come from. I have tousands of pictures stored on my computer and I have no idea where the come from. I have been storing them for years. So let�s just stop with this one acuses the other. Report the stolen worksheets and let it be.
Silvia

28 Sep 2008     

Anna P
Brazil

I agree with Silvia. I also have quite a lot of pictures on my computer and it would be impossible  to acknowledge their source. I have been trying to use the Microsoft cliparts but they are not quite as cute. I also agree that we must put an end to all these accusations. Let�s stop pointing fingers and continue to share our work in peace.
Anna

28 Sep 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

I would disagree a little with Puspita�s idea that it is okay to copy word for word other�s contribution - you only need to change the font and look of the words.  To quote Shakespeare �a rose by any other name is still a rose�.

The majority of the previous correspondence referred to by Frencfrog related mainly to the use and duplication of pictures and I think there is a general concensus that ownership of pictures is extremely difficult to determine in many instances.  Even previous writers to this string acknowledge they have pictures that have come from who knows where.

But when it comes to written text, I think the principle is slightly different.  Copying and quoting extracts from others is, I believe, more than acceptable - and where possible acknowledgement or credit should be given if the extract is significant or substantial.  Puspita seems to infer that the entire copying of a document and dressing it up in another font and adding a few different pictures is acceptable.  I think this is wrong and whilst we may not have the word copyright written on the bottom of our printables, you are in effect stealing not just the idea, but the outworking of the idea and content.

Stealing and adapting ideas is fair game - but stealing the idea and presenting it in exactly the same way is plagarism - it is unoriginal, lazy and dare i say cheating.

I apologise if I have misunderstood what you said, I would be interested to see how many people agree with this point of view.

28 Sep 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Hi Logos

I don�t think Puspita thinks that the entire copying of a document and only changing the font and pictures is acceptable at all.  From the post, I think she is being sarcastic (forgive me Puspita if I have misunderstood your meaning).

Puspita, I don�t think that the majority of members do think that it is ok to just change the fonts and pictures on someone elses worksheet although it is clear that some members do do this  - including more popular members who have had a lot of praise and thanks for worksheets which have been completely lifted from other sites.

The forum has been so negative lately and I really hope it goes back to the happy place it always was before.  Victor must sometimes (if not all the time recently) wonder why he bothers putting so much time and effort into such a fantastic site when there is so much bickering and sniping.

Thank you to everyone who spends time making the most amazing worksheets.  Thank you all:))) 

28 Sep 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

Hi frenchfrog, Linam, Silvia, Anna and Logos,

Thanks for sharing me your views.  I respect you all.  I was thinking outloud to get the big picture of our community here when I wrote the title.  Having read many comments on various worksheets and seeing the trends of more downloads after a warning given forced me to say that most members are fine with plagiarism.

To tell you the truth, I�m a bit disapppointed with some people here who think the copying act is fine and even still put their work on display despite my private email (asking them either to revise or remove the work) and direct comments on the sheets. 

To frenchfrog:
Yes, I�ve read your comments on the other thread and also agree with you that stealing will be a hot topic here from time to time.  I also agree that we have to clean up our back yard first in restrospect.

To Linam:
That would be a good idea although in reality I know it�s very hard to do.  Maybe I�d do it for my next worksheets.

To Silvia and Anna:
I share your feelings.  I am also fed up with this situation. 

To Logos:
You�re right.  I am talking about plagiarism.  We are on the same side: I (Vickiii and Icha included... also frenchfrog, Linam, Silvia and Anna) also think copying word by word as an act of stealing.  No need to apologize as the title of this topic seems to lead you that way. Like you, I�m also eager to find out how many people agree/disagree with this view.

Once again, thank you all for sharing your precious thoughts.
Best regards,
pus

28 Sep 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

Hi Kaz76, welcome aboard.

Yes, I was being sarcastic (I was really upset).  I really hope more and more people get on board going away from plagiarism.  Thank you for reminding me how hard Victor�s job is and how much energy he has put into this site.  I�m trying to make peace now.

My apology to you Victor, for I have caused some stirr-ups. I still have my faith on you.  Thank you for your great effort.

All the best for you guys.
pus

28 Sep 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Guess I�m a bit of an old fuddy duddy.  Usually I�m the most sarcastic of people and didn�t see it coming.  Sarcasm is usually portrayed in the way things are said and this is difficult to perceive in writing.  Glad we are all on the same page - though copying that page would be a sin!!!!!Evil Smile

29 Sep 2008