Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Bring or take?    

Bring or take?

chiaras
Italy

Bring or take?

Hi!

Can you help me with this sentence please?

The ambulance took my uncle to hospital/the ambulance brought my uncle to hospital

Which one is correct and why? Could both be correct? "Take" sounds more like someone doing the action (I took my child to school)....help!!Confused Or what about using "carry" instead?

Thank you very much!!

Chiara

19 Sep 2012      

miyoko71
Morocco

If you �re speaking in general  you say(the ambulance took my uncle to hospital)
I think if the speaker is at the hospital before the coming of the ambulance ,he can say(the ambulance brought my uncle to the hospital)
well I �m not sure but it sounds like that.

19 Sep 2012     

foose1
United States

I would agree with miyoko71. It depends on where the speaker is talking from.  Good explanation miyoko71.
John

19 Sep 2012     

chiaras
Italy

Thank you!!

Thumbs Up

19 Sep 2012     

vincenza
Italy

Chiara.... I have had a problem teaching this to Italian speakers because you (they) use "portare" for everything! I have found that it helps to establish "where" the speaker is at the time of the action, then I use arrows to show them - "take": from the position of the speaker, to another position; "Bring": from another position to the position of the speaker.   Just for your info, "fetch /get":  go from any position to another and return it to the position of the speaker. They have fun using arrows to explain it to one another. Good luck!

19 Sep 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Chiaras, (and Members who need it),

Please, send me a PM. with your EMAIL ADDRESS, and I will forward a pictorial Worksheet which illustrates Home, At Home; Go, Come; Take, Bring; Send, Receive; To, From.

I MUST HAVE your EMAIL ADDRESS, so that I can send you the Worksheet as an ATTACHMENT.

(I tried to display this Worksheet on the Forum, but it was distorted).

I hope that the Worksheet helps you.

Les  

19 Sep 2012