Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is there a hidden meaning?    

Is there a hidden meaning?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Is there a hidden meaning?

Dear colleagues,

I desperately need your opinion and help.

I was asked to translate the phrase: SHADES OF CHARLES FORT into Slovene. Sincre the person asking me to translate it thinks this has a deeper-hidden meaning, I can �t find it. I think that this menas: the influence of Charles Fort (that is still present today, especially because he researched into anomalous phenomena and we can still see his presence in something like a certain phenomenon). Am I right?

I would be grateful for any ideas and explanations.

Thank you and have a nice day.
ZVONKA

24 Sep 2012      

sadeel
Palestine

hi, go to www.proz.com and but it as a question. u will get good opinions from experts. hope it helps u

24 Sep 2012     

Zora
Canada

In English, a �shade � can also refer to a ghost. So basically, �yes � to your question. 

24 Sep 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Shades could also refer to variations of a color.  (Do you remember the Procol Harum song "White Shade of Pale"?)  So it might mean the different types of personalities that the character has.

24 Sep 2012     

yanogator
United States

"Shades of ..." is a somewhat common expression in English (in the US, at least) that has about the meaning you gave. It doesn �t have a literal application, so it will be difficult to translate. It means that something referred to would remind one of the thing/person/situation that is in the expression. In movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, there are two scenes - the huge cloud of bats flying overhead, and the liferaft dropping from the sky - that reminded me of The Wizard of Oz (the flying monkeys, and the house dropping), so, when watching the movie, I might have turned to my neighbor and said "Shades of the Wizard of Oz". So, simply put, it is similar in meaning to "This reminds me of Charles Fort" or "This is similar to what Charles Fort did".

Bruce

24 Sep 2012     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate it since I find all ithe deas helpful.

24 Sep 2012