Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is your definition of an ESL resource? (Beware: probably a hot issue)    

What is your definition of an ESL resource? (Beware: probably a hot issue)

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi Frenchfrog,
I am with you 100% to sort out what is clogging up server space and what is not. (I got into trouble commenting on this the other day!!)

But on the other hand, I teach Kindergarten kids here in Germany and to be honest sometime I need the odd colouring page or VERY simple worksheet. (I then tell the kids what colours to paint them, cos they can�t read yet.) I know I could get this from other sites but here I know I can download whatever I need for all my classes (all ages) in one place. OK. I am not sure how you would use bookmaks etc.. but I do feel that some little kiddie tasks are very useful. It is still teaching isn�t it??????

Where do you draw the line?
Greeting from Yeti xxx
P.S. Love your comments. Smile

17 Jan 2009     

spring
Turkey

Maybe there are art teachers or kindergarten teachers among us who prefer to download these materials...
I also wonder what are the ones who download colouring pages doing during their lessons if they are not working with kindergarten children???
How do they fill the whole lesson with processing on these stuff???
For example do they say: "Ok now we will do painting"
What�s the point then????Where is English Teaching???
There are some drawing&painting parts in my course book and we always skip those parts cos my SS find it childish though they are child too!!!! 
I am in favour of painting worksheets on condition that there is vocabulary.
I think this is just the matter of gaining points!!!!!
I agree Silvia cos I see that there is a demand for these stuff;Some members download them,we cannot avoid this but in this case we can just ignore them.

17 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

I understand the kindergarten teachers wanting an odd colouring page but all you need to do is google and ask for the topic you need and there are tons.  It�s a easy as looking for clipart for the message board and everyone seems to manage that quite easily.

17 Jan 2009     

Im Lety
Mexico

You are correct: Telling the children to use colors, even though they are very young students in the worksheets we have to write very clear instructions, the student must understand the language even when they do not read.

We have to make our Ss to get familiar with the language...

Have you seen the reaction of children when they see symbols like McDonald�s? even if they do not read they recognize letters and symbols.

If you can not write on the sheet because of the space, we must  to inform the child and is a good way to use the blackboard or other sheet.

Maybe people who upload only images assume that the person downloading the exercise will write the instructions  but it is more convenient if people who upload and excercisee give the instructions and we have the choice to leave it like that or make changes but we have a guide to follow...

Thanks

17 Jan 2009     

maayyaa
Slovenia

Heya my fellow addicts!

I totally agree with what you�ve said so far!

I teach kids from 6 years old to 18 year olds and can say I have used colouring pages (taken from other sites) when my young ones learnt colours. But there is no need to use lots and lots of such activities as kids learn so fast it amazes me every year! However, I do prefer WS with some words on them as they are easier to use and don�t demand hours of figuring out how to use them!

Greetings from a rather cold Slovenia :-)

17 Jan 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Just to clear up what Spring said. A kindergarten teacher would NEVER spend a lesson �just� colouring. Small children will only sit still for a few minutes on one activity. So one lesson would consist of singing, dancing, playing a game, reading a simple book and the colouring would be a few minutes at the end to finish off - all to do with the theme being taught. I feel a bit upset that some people see colouring pages as a �lazy� way to teach. They oviously have never had a class of three year olds.

17 Jan 2009     

Im Lety
Mexico

Experts  say that if you work with very young Ss you  should take an average ten minutes each activity as children tend to get distracted quickly...Ss spends lots of time coloring...They love to do that but as you say there are many different ways to teach and tons of material to choose...We have to practice the four skills if its possible each day: Reding, writing, listenig and speaking...Most with young children...

17 Jan 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

I will too from now on report them as �not an esl resource� 

17 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with yeti (and leti) - my sister teaches three year olds - and she gets them to paint, colour, make things with play dough or clay, sing, watch five minutes of a cartoon, read to them, etc. Language is acquired through normal (and fun) activities at that age and we shouldn�t judge what resources are needed in a classroom since everybody�s method (and students learning abilities) are quite different.

In fact, my sister�s little ones speak better (within their age limits) and know more than some of the six and seven year olds starting up... heck, one girl speaks almost better than some of my 11 year olds!!

The site is for ESL "resources" and once again - we should not be saying what is a useful (or not useful) resource unless we, ourselves, have taught that specific age group.

Or at least that is my opinion.

17 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Again - I think to make it an ESL resource, it should be explained, defined, why it is one - in the description and/ or the worksheet. At least for "just" pictures etc.

17 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >