Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Shopping mall or shopping center?    

Shopping mall or shopping center?

barbarachiote
Brazil

Shopping mall or shopping center?

Hi, there!! 

I need your help!
Is there a difference between shopping mall and shopping center?

Thank you so much

Barbara

9 Oct 2012      

kodag
Poland

shopping centre (GB), shopping mall (US) - no difference in meaning

9 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

It seems to me that in the US, "shopping center" is a group of stores but a "shopping mall" is a group of stores in an enclosed area.

9 Oct 2012     

foose1
United States

I agree with Esthert.  A shopping mall is in an enclosed area while a shopping center is a group of stores in an open area.   I do not like shoppings centers because there is no air conditioning while a shopping mall is air conditioned throughout.    Phoenix Arizona where I come from is a perfrect example of that.  Why would anyone go to a shopping center when you can cook an egg on the sidewalk? They started shopping centers along the freeways years ago that they called super discount centers (outside).  I never stopped.  Too hot for me! At the same time, I would gladly spend my time at a shopping mall.  Even in Asian they call them malls.

John

9 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Shopping mall is entirely American. A shopping centre is usually in the middle of town, whereas these days, we are seeing the arrival of more and more retail parks - out of town, purpose built, lots of big stores.

9 Oct 2012     

barbarachiote
Brazil

Thank you all guys! ;D

9 Oct 2012