Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What´s he/she look like?    

What´s he/she look like?

yanogator
United States

OK, Alex, I �ll withdraw the word "lazy" and go with ellipsis, but I still disagree with calling it a contraction, while admitting that I �m really arguiing over nothing.

Bruce

13 Oct 2012     

mr.sneeze
Bermuda

What �s he/she look like?

So. In one sentence ...

The abbreviation of �does� is not �allowed� in the written language but is widely used in the spoken language.

@yanogator Your statement that it is �just a lazy pronunciation� is not far off the mark at all. �Lazy� connotes negativity of the abbreviated use of �does� and perhaps �Ellipsis� is more technically correct. We could say that the omission of �doe� is a practical one. It�s just faster to speak this way and I believe in the states �What does ...� often sounds more like �Waduz ...� !

@ldthemagicman Your impromptu sentence  ï¿½Where�s she work?�put a smile on my face. In Bermuda (where I�m from) many �natives� actually say �Where�s she work at?�

contractions go in and out of fashion: does not was traditionally contracted to don�t until the 19th century (just look at any of the Restoration playwrights, for example).

@almaz
very interesting as many of today�s youth (especially the rapper type) have returned to using �He/She don�t �" If only they knew! :)

Thanks to all for taking the time out to address this question. Mr.Sneeze

13 Oct 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

Whether it �s �lazy �, spoken only or whatever we will all probably be teaching it as �an exception � in 20 or 30 years time. It �s a perfect example of how English constantly evolves and how grammar can rapidly go �out-of-date �.
I personally hate �wanna � but it appears daily in many students � work and who am I to argue against the people who write subtitles for movies.
Good discussion! Joy

14 Oct 2012     

< Previous   1    2