Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Satchel, schoolbag, backpack, bagpack ????????    

Satchel, schoolbag, backpack, bagpack ????????

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Satchel, schoolbag, backpack, bagpack ????????

Hi dear friends

What would you call it ? Does the word " bagpack " exist? I tried to look for it in a few dictionaries, but it seems to be nowhere, except in my students � book. Could you enlighten me, is it used in any of the English speaking countries?

Thanks in advance.

Hugs

Linda

15 Oct 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Olinda!

I was taught the word "rucksack".

Hope this helps.

15 Oct 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

Yes, I forgot about that; my problem, now, is to be sure about the last word, that " bagpack " I never heard about and I can �t find it. Not sure if that may be a misspelling of "backpack " or if it is a word I didn �t know. 
Anyway, thanks a lot, my friend

Linda

15 Oct 2012     

millmo
France

I say school bag, satchel is very old fashioned and is a very formal school bag a bit like a briefcase, back pack and ruck sack are more like a bag used for walking/camping (in the UK, not sure about in the US) and backbag does not exist!

15 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

In the US, "rucksack" is for hiking, not for books. I agree that satchel is old-fashioned. If it �s carried on the back, it �s a backpack. If not, it �s a bookbag. I don �t think "bagpack" exists.

Your picture is of a bookbag, since it �s not carried on the back.

Bruce

15 Oct 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks to all and each one of you.

Yes, Bruce, I used rucksack for hiking, satchel was what I learned, but it was in the old sixthies, lol, bookbag I didn �t know, Embarrassed; thanks for telling me that bagpack doesn �t exist.

Anyway, I �d say my picture is a backpack, cause I can see two straps, right, or am I imagining things? Tongue  

It �s fine, all I was about to know was about that cute / new word bagpack, which appears in a crossword ( in the teacher �s book key ).

Thanks a bunch, you all. Have a nice week.

Linda

15 Oct 2012     

goospanish
Mexico

purse

15 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

School bag. 

15 Oct 2012     

joannaamoch1983
France

I �m English and I �ve always said backpack or just Bag for short :)

15 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Linda, the straps look like a large handle to me, rather than straps for a backpack. I could very well be wrong about that, though.

Bruce

15 Oct 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

Could it be a messenger bag? The kind postmen use? It �s not carried in the back but it could be carried across your body.

15 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >