Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Would you please advise me !!!!    

Would you please advise me !!!!

fatenam
Tunisia

Would you please advise me !!!!

I`m teaching young learners from 10 to 12 years old. One of my pupils is having a speech imperfection problem. She is usually stattering. She can not pronounce any word at once, she has to stop many times before finshing that word. I think it`s a psychological problem. she told me that her ex- teachers were just ignoring her. 

would you advise me how to deal with this pupil. ( she is 12 years old ). I feel it`s urgent.

Thanks in advance.

17 Oct 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Fatenam!

Try here:

hope this helps.

17 Oct 2012     

imen ben ach
Tunisia

you can give her a reading homework. Nothing fancy, just two or three lines that she has to read at home many time till she feels comfortable reading them out loud. Then, in the next session, she can come to you after the bell rings and read the lines for you . Don �t correct her, don �t interrupt just listen then praise her generously to boost her self- confidence. You can give her some pointers if she miss spells a word or anything. Keep doing this with her and when you feel it �s appropriate ask her if she wants to read for the rest of the class.
hope that I �ve helped Smile

17 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You know, they say singing might help with the stuttering. At home she could sing the sentences instead of just struggling with reading them.
Sophia

17 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

And continue to be patient. Let her speak at her own rate. Don �t correct the stuttering, and don �t allow other students to make fun of her. Do correct pronunciation that doesn �t involve the stuttering, e.g., b for p.

The singing is a good idea, as is drama. Some very famous actors and singers stutter or stuttered. James Earl Jones is an excellent example.

If your school offers speech therapy, she should work with the speech pathologist. If not, and her parents can afford it, she could get speech therapy privately. Good luck!

17 Oct 2012     

douglas
United States

A friend of mine that often stutters has told me that the most important thing for her is that the listener be patient and let her complete her own sentences.  Don �t try to complete the sentence for her, it makes her more nervous and worsens the stuttering.  Give her time to complete it on her own. 

I like the singing suggestion, it reminds me of a story I heard onetime about a country western singer (I think it was Mel Tillis, but I�m not sure) that has had a stuttering problem his whole life.

He was doing a show with another singer when the power went out in the concert hall. To keep the audience calm he started to say:  "I..I..I..I..I.. c...c..c..ca..ca..can..ca..can....." He couldn�t get the text out so he simply broke into song: "I can �t see sh$t can you?" the audience laughed and calmed down and the power came back on right afterwards. 

When he sings one would never know he has a problem with stuttering.

Cheers,
Douglas

Her�s an interesting link I just found about famous people that stutter (James Earl Jones even!):

18 Oct 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Have a look here
Greetings from Greece,

18 Oct 2012     

fatenam
Tunisia

Thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnks a lot my dear collegues. 

I do appreciate it. Your recommendations are of great importance to me. I`ll do my best.

Thanks again.

18 Oct 2012