Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar dilemma    

Grammar dilemma

MoodyMoody
United States

Personally, I wouldn �t use "It was _______ who turned off the lights" anyway. I �d just say, "They are the ones who turned off the light."

Technically, as a predicate nominative, "they" is the more formal answer. However, as Lynne points out, nobody ever says that anymore. The language has left the artificially constructed rule behind. Let it die in peace.

23 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@ Lynne: thanks for getting back to me. I know it �s colloquial, but what about academic writing, would you be laughed at if you wrote "It was they who..." in a piece of writing, say a term paper or something like that?
Sophia

23 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

Can a language be artificially constructed, MoodyMoody? I don �t think so... Look at the success of Esperanto.

23 Oct 2012     

lurdesilva
Portugal

Well, I agree with Lynne.

23 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks! @Sophia, (if you are still following), yes, in that context, you may well be right. As others point out, though, you would probably phrase it differently as it doesn �t seem natural. I �m a firm believer in going with the flow. If it �s what people say, then that is correct. Language is a tool for communication. If we are over correcting because of the grammar rule, then it is the tail wagging the dog. Massive sweeping statements!!! It �s off the forum, I hope I am not picked up about this!Wink

24 Oct 2012     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Thank you all for your answers, they helped me a lot. As we all see language is a very contradictory question, because the grammar says one thing and the spoken language is quite different. Language is always changing and grammar is the last to catch up. So, what should we teach to our students? Because if we say that "it was them" is correct, they �ll puzzle us with their questions "why,why,why... the manuel says one thing and the teacher the other." 
And how to be with tests? If both options are included, which one should we set as the correct one?

P.S. Sophia, thank you for the video. I�ve watched it already somewhere, but I couldn�t find the link. Thanks again and do you happen to know where I can find the similar ones?

Hugs, Kate.

24 Oct 2012     

< Previous   1    2