Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > TOO much; TOO many    

TOO much; TOO many

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

TOO much; TOO many

Dear Members and Students.

Yesterday evening, I was at a very nice function, (in the UK), for Refugees, Asylum-Seekers, and Foreign Nationals.  Generally speaking, their knowledge of English was elementary, or even non-existent.

I was happy to meet a previous student of mine.  He proudly introduced me to the Organiser, with the words: �He was an excellent teacher.  In his class, I learned too much.  He gave us good worksheets.  He gave us too many beautiful worksheets�.

I was very pleased to be described as an excellent teacher, but my politeness prevented me from correcting his words.

�Too much!� is a NEGATIVE remark; it is NOT a compliment; it refers to something EXCESSIVE!  You have more than you want or need.

1)     �Teacher, in your class I learned TOO MUCH.� = �Teacher, I learned more than I needed; I learned facts that were useless to me; I was over-worked; I was buried under the work; you gave me too many exercises; I did not like it; you are not a good teacher�.

Here are some much more acceptable phrases, (and there are others).

2)     Teacher, in your class, I learned MUCH; I learned VERY MUCH; I learned LOTS; I learned A LOT;  I learned A GREAT DEAL; I learned A GOOD DEAL; I learned PLENTY; I learned A LARGE AMOUNT; I learned A GREAT NUMBER OF THINGS; I learned MANY THINGS; I learned LOADS (colloquial); I learned HEAPS (colloquial); I learned TONS (colloquial), etc.

�Too many!� is a NEGATIVE remark; it is NOT a compliment; it refers to something EXCESSIVE!  You have more than you want or need.

3)     �Teacher, in your class, you gave me TOO MANY worksheets.� = �Teacher, you gave me more worksheets than I needed; you gave me worksheets that were useless to me; I was over-worked with the worksheets; I was buried under the worksheets; you gave me too many worksheets, more than I could use; I did not like it; you are not a good teacher�.

Here are some much more acceptable phrases, (and there are others).

4)     Teacher, in your class, you gave me MANY worksheets; VERY MANY worksheets; LOTS OF worksheets; A LOT OF worksheets; A LARGE NUMBER OF worksheets;  NUMEROUS worksheets; INNUMERABLE worksheets; COUNTLESS worksheets; MULTIPLE worksheets; COPIOUS worksheets; SEVERAL worksheets; VARIOUS worksheets; VARIED worksheets; SUNDRY worksheets; DIVERSE worksheets; etc.

I hope that this is of help to you.

Les

25 Oct 2012      

mariannina
Italy

Les I �m so happy to see you back here! Your posts always help me "too much"!!!LOL
I hope you �ll visit the forum more often.
Hugs.
Granny

26 Oct 2012     

Greek Professor
Greece

Oh Les,
Great to see you back....I second what Mariannina said....
Kisses

26 Oct 2012     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Thanks dear LES!

26 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi dear Les, I used to have this a lot with my Urdu speaking students and it turns out, there is no distinction in that language. As I remember, �bahot � meaning much or a lot is used in both the context of too much and very much. Consequently, those students found the distinction difficult. Am I right, anybody know?  

26 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Not sure about Urdu, but I notice this with Spanish speakers also.

26 Oct 2012     

maryse pey�
France

Welcome back dear dear friend and thanks again for your so precious advice ! Take care of you.

26 Oct 2012