Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Weeds Vs. wildflowers    

Weeds Vs. wildflowers

jennybohmes
Argentina

Weeds Vs. wildflowers

Hello everyone!
I�m a little confused by the meaning of this quote: "May all your  weeds be wildflowers".
As my mother tonge is spanish I would like to understand the real meaning of it.
Could you help me?
Thanks in advance!

26 Oct 2012      

edrodmedina
United States

I think it is a matter of perception. One persons wild flowers might be anothers weed. Weed are unwanted grasses or flowers. Some people consider dandelions  weeds, others consider them a delicacy. Ed

26 Oct 2012     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thanks for taking the time to give an idea that helped!

26 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Ed, I would say dandelions are weeds in your yard, food in your salad (or wine), so they qualify for both.

I would interpret the saying as "May everything that pops up unbidden in your life (weeds) be beautiful and enjoyable (wildflowers)".

Bruce

26 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I pretty much agree with Bruce, although I �ve never heard that particular saying before. There �s also a little bit of instruction as to one �s attitude, however, as Ed mentioned. So they are both right, although I prefer attitude to perception. If you have the attitude that bad things that happen are problems, that �s what you see, weeds. If you have the attitude that bad things are opportunities, that �s what you see, wildflowers.

And dandelions are the perfect example. If they were difficult to grow, they would be very popular garden flowers.

26 Oct 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

One man �s meat is another man �s poison = Something that one person likes may be distasteful to someone else

26 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I disagree, jarek2011. "May all your weeds be wildflowers" expresses a hope for the future. Your interpretation is closer to "Your weeds are my wildflowers."

26 Oct 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you for correcting this MoodyMoody!

26 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Moody, I agree. It �s related to the saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade", except being in the form of a simple blessing, rather than a specific instruction.

26 Oct 2012     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thanks for all your ideas Ed, Bruce, Moody Moody!

30 Oct 2012