Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do you say when playing?    

What do you say when playing?

zailda
Brazil

What do you say when playing?

What do you say when you win a game? For example, when you use the last card, or when you �re playing dominoes, chess or something and you beat the other players? I�d like to teach my students the exact words a native uses during a game.

Thanks in advance!

Have a nice day.

Zailda

26 Oct 2012      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I �ve won ? Better luck next time ? LOL just kidding Zailda, I �ve no idea! I would like to know too!

26 Oct 2012     

zailda
Brazil

LOL

In Portuguese, for example, when we use the last card we say "bati". We use informal words / expressions that I �d like to know.

26 Oct 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

I do a little dance! 

26 Oct 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

You lose!!! Na na na na na na!!!! or something as adult. Ed

26 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh my, we are British!!! We apologise profusely and make excuses for winning, �I had all the good cards/dominoes � etc. 

That is true, Zailda!

26 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Ed is very accurate, but not very official.

It partly depends on the game. In your examples, where the game (or hand, or round) is won by playing the last card/domino/Scrabble tile/etc., we often say "I �m out".

In Monopoly, you have all the money, so you don �t need to say anything (but that wouldn �t stop us, or course).

In chess, of course, we say "Checkmate" (or often just "Mate", because we �re too lazy to use a 2-syllable word).

Bruce

26 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

It is polite for the winner to say to the loser, "Good game," or as Lynne said, to say "I had good luck." Less polite winners say what Ed mentioned or things like "In your face!" "Take that, sucker!" or "Who �s number 1?" This is even more often true if your favorite sports team won.

For sports teams, rudeness is unfortunately almost expected these days. In a city about an hour �s drive from mine, a visiting NFL team beat the local team. A family wearing jerseys of the visiting team tried to go to a bar near the stadium. A local fan said, "This is a ___________ (local NFL team) bar. Go away." The jerk said this even though one of the family was a double amputee in a wheelchair (a veteran who lost his legs in Afghanistan). The bar ended up throwing out the family with the visiting jerseys, even though the local jerk started the altercation. The owner, who wasn �t there last Sunday, has since apologized profusely to the family. People may be polite and self-deprecating when they win, but not when their team wins, or loses.

26 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hear hear, Moody. When it comes to football, it �s cut throat. Vile abuse is hurled at the losers. Isn �t it strange? I just asked my husband, a keen Bridge player, and he said he says something like, �Good game � or �Well played � or �Better luck next time. �  

26 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Imagine that, Lynne - bridge players behave more civilly than footballers!  Whooda thunkit?
Bruce

26 Oct 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

See ? "Better luck next time" sounded all right to me, Lynne ! ;-)

26 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >