Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > i need help!    

i need help!

sekermali
Turkey

i need help!

hi my dear teachers. I have  trouble with one of my classes(7th grade-14 years old sts).They are too talkative and rude.In addition to these they find my lessons boring! They don �t like English! Do you have any ideas for classroom management and also teaching english with funny activities?

28 Oct 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Have you tried teaching English through films? Are you allowed? Have you tried Mr Bean? A short excerpt, followed by some wss from this site. I always do a hotseat activity. The students watch the clip, then they have to prepare questions for Mr Bean. Then you choose a good student for the hotseat. You can prepare qs to give out if your students are weak. Good full length films to study are Shrek, Harry Potter, The Lion King (even at age 14, they love it.)

This is an activity which my students love. When in the hotseat, they cannot answer �yes � or �no �, so they have to think of ways round it. If they do, I bang my pen against the the metal bin and they are out.  Keep it lively. Can you get them moving? For example, if they �ve read something or watched something, put some terms on flipchart paper, e.g place/character/action and they have to go round writing things - or sticking cards -  in the right place (categories.)

For a reading activity, stick the passage in 3 or 4 places on the classroom wall. Put the students in pairs and give them a grid to complete, or a set of questions. Only one student can go to the wall to do the reading. He has to report back to his partner. He can go as many times as he likes to collect the info. His partner can go once to check. 

Just a few ideas! I know it �s not easy.

28 Oct 2012     

sekermali
Turkey

thanks for your interest.These activities are very enjoyable but our classes are very crowded and noisy.So, i need some activities to make them quiet...

28 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Have you tried co-operative learning strategies? They usually work well in big classes.
Also you could find some useful tips here

From my experience, even hyper types love speaking activities which follow a short listening activity with content that relates to the topic of the lesson and at the same time to the real life situations.
Here �s how it goes:
they do a while-listening fill in the gaps activity based on a dialogue/short conversation
then they work in pairs to change the underlined phrases with the phrases offered in the prompts (there they have a variety of choices)
then they role-play their dialogues in pairs
The noise level during this activity is quite high but it �s controlable (you have to move around the class and follow what they are doing, offering help when needed), but your teens are very much involved and they learn things easier.
Another thing is motivation. Even those of my students who don �t like English eagerly do the task (if you give clear instructions) if they know they �ll get a mark for it.
Sophia

28 Oct 2012     

sekermali
Turkey

thank you sophia :)

29 Oct 2012