Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Caption Contest for the weekend of 3 Nov. 2012    

Caption Contest for the weekend of 3 Nov. 2012

douglas
United States

Caption Contest for the weekend of 3 Nov. 2012

Well it looks like Dyana13 didn �t get my message about winning the caption contest, so here is a new photo to be captioned over the weekend.  I�ll pick a winner on Monday.

Have a great weekend,

Douglas

2 Nov 2012      

rhman
Egypt

sorry it is not funny. They are human being just like us. I hope that you can read what is behind this picture. those who are taking photos aren �t better than them. Anyway , I can comment ( Those two poor children are saying : Those people around us must be put in cages and collect money from people who will visit them to buy food and clothes)

2 Nov 2012     

akvillina
Iran

I agree with you rhman.What a shame1!!

2 Nov 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Joining the spirit of the game:

"They �re so beautiful and nice! Do you think they �re made of chocolate?"

In the past I used to say I was afraid of going to Scandinavian countries and they find it strange the fact that I was able to talk.

Unfortunately the situation happens in real life, not prejudice or something like that, but due pure ignorance.

My sister lived in German for one year and once a 6-year-old girl on a train got so fascinated by my sister �s hair and skin color that she sat beside her and started touching her face and hair and asking lots of strange questions. My sister found it very funny and always tells this "story" as one of the funniest situations she faced living in a foreign country.

2 Nov 2012     

Hajerka
Tunisia

Despite all the efforts to spread equality and brotherhood around the world, some people- unfortunately teachers still look down at other persons. This picture shows nothing but a feeling of superiority. I ask the moderators kindly to remove it.

2 Nov 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Hi again!

Let me disagree with you, people!

I think prejudice and superiority may be a point of view. I see nothing wrong with the picture, but sentences like �they are human beings like us� contain much more embedded prejudice than the picture. The picture only shows women in the sixties � when we didn�t have much information and globalization � and they are taking pictures of things or people they find different from what they know in their country.

The same way we take a picture of a native wearing costumes (like �baianas� in Brazil), or monuments, or the like, they are registering people / things they can�t see in the country they live in, not necessarily with sense of superiority. We take pictures of what / who we think is different and not what we think is inferior.

As I said, the prejudice is in our mind, maybe the boys are dancing or doing something that called their attention. The game is to find new ways of analyzing the pics, we shouldn�t take it too personally or have a broad way of viewing.

No offense, just try to look on the bright side. Not all times people are looking at others it means it�s something related to bullying, prejudice or the like. I can see admiration in their attitude, can�t you?

Have a nice day!

Zailda

2 Nov 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

I have to disagree with Zailda. One of those ladies is surely not one day over 59. ;-) Ed

2 Nov 2012     

srce
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Well, coming from the country that was often looked down at, I will DARE to comment the ladies (this is only IRONY). I guess they would say to each other: "Oh dear, why can �t we be so skinny???!!!" Sadly, in some parts of the world people think looks are their biggest problem!!!!!!!  I STAND AGAINST THIS SUPERFICIAL PEOPLE COMING FROM RICH COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Nov 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Good, dear Ed! I�m glad to see that some still have sense of humor!

I wonder how people realized the kids are �poor�. Their appearance, maybe? Or because they are black? In Brazil kids wear diapers or shorts during the summer: the black, the white; the poor and the rich.

Talk about prejudice�

Yep, Ed. Now I see the ladies� look is not admiration, but envy. They want to be as skinny as the kids.

Have a nice weekend.

2 Nov 2012     

isa2
Austria

Dear Douglas,

This picture seems to be too controversial to produce any captions.
IMHO, you should have picked a new winner for the last picture. Perhaps the one that you liked second best.

have a nice weekend.

3 Nov 2012     

douglas
United States

So..

I knew this post would be controversial.  I don �t have to say much because Zailda said better than I could have.

I refuse to apologize for posting the picture.  The caption contest is supposed to stimulate thought and creativity--this picture accomplished that.  Like it or not this is a reality and I refuse to pretend it doesn �t exist.  Facing a problem is the first step in overcoming it.

Cheers,

Douglas

OBTW:  Zailda is the winner for her ability to maintain a sense of humor when it is most needed.

5 Nov 2012