Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching via Skype    

Teaching via Skype

annabelle1654
Germany

Teaching via Skype

Someone who is intermediate or above has asked me to work with him  long distance.  I thought skype might work, but I �m not sure how to structure a 90 minute lesson over skype. We will be doing role plays as he prepares for an assessment.  He doesn �t know what all it will cover, so vocabulary is upper intermediate business, but also general english. 

Any ideas? Or just let me know how you work long distance with students.
Thanks in advance!
Belles

6 Nov 2012      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Annabelle,

Here is an answer that I gave to a prevous Member who asked about teaching via Skype.

I hope that it helps you.

Les

I have used Skype to teach English, (whole-class; small-group; pair; one-to-one --- Beginners; Elementary; Pre-Intermediate; Intermediate; Advanced; IELTS). I also regularly conduct examinations in Spoken English by Skype. I have Students in 2 or 3 different countries. I use Skype to give lessons about once a week.

It is NOT EASY! Although I am told that I succeed well, it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. That is my experience.

It can be a slow business, because of bad Internet connections, with the camera and microphone functioning, and then not functioning, (usually at important points).

I see different students almost every time, so names are a problem.

To avoid this difficulty, I must describe students as, �student 1, student 2, etc.�

Then a late-comer enters, sits anywhere, and alters the numbering.

It is impossible to �point� to a student and say: �Read, please!�

I must say: �The man wearing spectacles, please! I will ask you a question.�

If there is a large class, it is impossible to see everyone. The camera must constantly be moved.

Similarly, the microphone must constantly be moved for every different student.

Sound (and vision) is frequently not acceptable.

I use headphones and a throat microphone, but the class uses a loudspeaker and a desk microphone, with all the �squeaks� and �bangs� when the microphone is moved, (except with one-to-one.)

Many students are unused to microphone and video procedure. They mumble; don�t speak into the microphone; don�t look at the camera; and act as if I were in the classroom with them. Because the other students laugh at their antics, they think that I can see what they are doing, which I can�t.

There is a perceptible gap, between speaking and being heard, and new students don�t wait until the message is received.

It is a slow procedure to send a file DURING the lesson.

When sound is bad, to write and then to hold the paper up to the camera often allows transmission, but it looks unprofessional.

Maintaining good behaviour is extremely difficult, because it is not possible to see who is chatting, who leaves the room, who is using a mobile phone, etc.

Students who are out of camera-sight often prompt other students with the answer to my question.

Students surreptitiously read answers from books, papers, etc. on the table.

Students look around at the posters on the wall for the answer.

Students often have conversations in class while Student X is answering a question. In a normal classroom, this is bad manners and irritating. On Skype, the voice of Student X is completely drowned and cannot be heard.

The rule is --- ONE speaker, ONE voice.

When speaking, gesturing, showing an object, etc. the teacher must always glance at the small picture of himself/herself on the computer, to check that he/she is visible to the students.

The big difference between Skype and normal teaching is that the teacher is not physically in the room with the students, so has no direct �control� over what happens, nor what the students are doing.

When arranging lessons, the teacher must remember that British Time is DIFFERENT to Asian Time, (for example).

It possibly seems that I think that Skype is very bad.

On the contrary, I think that it is excellent! To be able to see and speak to students in foreign lands is thrilling. It is an absolute joy to realise that, for many students, this is the very first time that they have had a conversation with a real, live, native English speaker.

Their eyes pop wide-open when they realise that they are able to speak to me. On one occasion, I had a complete family party --- children, parents, grand-parents, neighbours --- all gathered around the computer, open-mouthed. Afterwards, the Mam proudly said to her daughter, an English teacher, who is my �student�: �You are SO clever, being able to speak to England like that�.

I had one boy student who was 9 years old --- he was so excited when he passed the Speaking Examination. I imagined him running home to tell his Mam the good news.

For me, it is a truly humbling experience, because for many of my students, (and their teachers), who live in �isolated regions�, I am regarded by them as a godsend.

But, it must be remembered that for classroom teaching, Skype needs a completely different teaching approach. It is a �new� technology, slightly intimidating to students, so I begin with personal chit-chat about families, friends, likes, dislikes, etc. I always concentrate on speaking, using speaking games and exercises. I tell jokes, say silly things, make faces, sing, make balloon animals, perform magic and just act in a perfectly ordinary fashion. This shows that I am a normal person, like them.

Because it is cumbersome to interact using reading and writing materials, I often ask the group to write in their notebook an example of the grammar point that we are discussing.

For teaching grammar, I usually dictate examples of grammar sentences to the students, or give a summary of the �rules�. Remember, I cannot write on the board, nor point to a poster, nor show them my book. I frequently am forced to �think on my feet�, (although I actually sit in a comfortable armchair, at home).

The students love asking questions --- personal and other. This is a great source of discussion.

In conclusion, Skype is difficult but rewarding. In my opinion, a teacher who successfully teaches, by using the Internet, will be doing a great service to the student-community. Moreover, that teacher will receive much pleasure.

LES DOUGLAS

6 Nov 2012     

jannabanna
France

@ Annabelle: I �ve used SKYPE for one to one lessons and it works well. I agree with Les it�s slow sending files during the lesson so I don�t.  I always send them by email well before with instructions on what to do/prepare.  I did quite a lot of telephone lessons before SKYPE existed and they worked well too.  They were usually recommended after a course of several hours. Another thing to do is to send worksheets to back up what has been covered in the lesson or something you think they should revise.  You can either correct these worksheets in your own time (they would have to scan the worksheet once they�ve completed it and send it back to you) or correct it verbally during the lesson.  I give them the choice.  So for me it works well with adults.

@ Les: I don�t see how it can work with a class/group and I think you are very brave to do it.  You must have a lot of patience too!

6 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Of course Janet and Les speak from experience and gave you plenty of advice. I had nothing like that but I can refer you to some tips which you might find helpful:

Sophia

6 Nov 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good thread. Many thanks to everyone who �s provided excellent practical info here. I �ve just moved back to the UK from Catalonia and many of my students there - particularly the ones who want to continue with the Cambridge exams - are keen to carry on with lessons, but are not especially happy to do it by email/telephone alone.

6 Nov 2012     

cheezels
New Zealand

I used to use Skype but now for my groups I use Google talk. It can handle up to 9 people on video and it doesn �t cut out like Skype. It has been fantastic. I can also share documents with them via my Google Drive section.

I don �t know if the premium paid version of Skype is better, but with the free version for teaching it just couldn �t do what I wanted it to do.

Another thing, 90 minutes is a really long time for an internet lesson. Especially if it is 1:1.
I strongly recommend also having some type of learning platform if you are teaching online. I have a website created at weebly, but it is one for educators so it has the option for me to create assignments and a place where students can download materials and upload assignments too.

If your focus is on Business English I can recommend using materials or books from a BEC prep course. Market Leader has some great discussion based activities as well as general Business English. Depending on his level you could choose from Vantage level (which is upper intermediate B2) or the Higher level book (C1).

Maybe you could break the lesson into two parts. One hour for one session then a follow up of 30 minutes later in the week to go over the work he would have completed independently.

Good luck!

EDIT: VoiceThread is something I have just started using. You can upload an activity, picture, video etc and then the students can record and leave comments around it based on what you have asked them to discuss. It is a great tool for online learning as it is something they can do as part of their independent work and it is really fun with immediate results. (In that you can listen to what someone has recorded instantly and add your own comment!)

6 Nov 2012     

annabelle1654
Germany

This has been such a useful thread that I want to take a moment and say thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences about what works and doesn �t seem to work as well as useful reading links. I am overwhelmed as usual by the generousity of the people on this site. All the best to all of you. 

6 Nov 2012     

jannabanna
France

You �re welcome Annabelle !!

7 Nov 2012     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi guys..

Well, there is some great info here. I too teach English through Skype. What Les and everyone says is totally true as far as the connection is concerned and class lessons.

I do one on one or 4 the most as a  group.  I think it is a great way to have lessons.

As for writing I have downloaded a program called team viewer which allows the students to log onto your PC and they see what you write at the moment on a "word" page, which of course you can save at the end and send them the word file via Skype/email...

So good luck

7 Nov 2012