Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > genitive case    

genitive case

akram@73
Tunisia

genitive case

hello dear colleagues which is the correct alternative: -the other �s car driver - the other car �s driver thanks a lot

9 Nov 2012      

isa2
Austria

The problem for me is: you should avoid using a genitive for things.
Anyway, if you want to stick to your solution, I would definitely say
THE OTHER CAR �S DRIVER (meaning the driver of the other car)
unless you mean several people owning a car which is driven by a driver, then I would suggest
THE OTHERS � CAR DRIVER

Hope I could help.

9 Nov 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

It �s "the other car �s driver." Other is an adjective stating which car and car is the noun that takes the possessive. You can also say "the driver of the other car." Sometimes using an "of" prepositional phrase as a possessive sounds clumsy to a native speaker (not incorrect), but I don �t hear anything wrong with "the driver of the other car."

9 Nov 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

As a native speaker I definitely prefer �the driver of the other car � but I �m not sure why! As isa2 said we usually avoid the possessive with things.

10 Nov 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I also prefer �the driver of the other car �. Is it because the emphasis is on the driver, not the car? Also, with �the other car �s driver �, it �s as if the car has got some autonomy, whereas it �s an inanimate object... Not absolutely certain of the explanation, but I �ve had a go! 

10 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

Definitely the driver of the other car. You can use the possessive (We don �t have genitive in English - It �s possessive) for things that are part of things, such as the car �s license plate and the car �s steering wheel, but it doesn �t "own" the driver, so "the other car �s driver" doesn �t sound right to a native speaker, as the others have pointed out.

Bruce

10 Nov 2012     

isa2
Austria

Dear Bruce,

I �m sorry to contradict you. But the term GENITIVE exists in linguistics.

IsaWink

10 Nov 2012     

yanogator
United States

Isa, I didn �t say that the term doesn �t exist. I said that it �s called the possessive case in English.

Bruce

10 Nov 2012