Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD)    

Word of the Day (WOD)

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD)

We haven �t had a Word of the Day (WOD) for a while, so here goes.  The idea is to come up with a witty definition of the word without looking it up in a dictionary. 

The word for today is:

demonym

Let �s see what you �ve got,

Douglas

19 Nov 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

demonym

It �s an old sanskrit word related to religion.  Demo means evil and nym is the suffix to describe the followers of his doctrine.

Here �s a picture of a DEMONYM:

19 Nov 2012     

Greek Professor
Greece

mmmm....

DEMONYM
 Now shall i go Greek?...naaaaa!!!!!!! wont spoil the fun....

so here goes...

"Hey you my name is Demony M..."

19 Nov 2012     

juliag
Japan

A synonym is a word of similar meaning, a homonym is a word that is pronounced the same but has a different meaning. Naturally, therefore, a demonym is a word that is related to the world of the occult and black magic. The demonymic dictionary is presented to young witches and wizards on their 14th birthdays, and contains all the magic-related words they may ever need to know. It can also be used as a verb. If someone demonyms you they give you the power to speak the words and the spells from the demonymic dictionary in such a way that you, too, will be able to magic.

19 Nov 2012     

maryse pey�
France

Well let me make a DEMO about the DEMON which is epONYM.

The Demon decided to write a book about Devilish actions but not Deminished ones so it cursed the book with a DEMONYM spell excessively powerful because it makes all the readers of this book DEMONYMly burst in an endless laugh...

That is why it is better not to be too DEMONYMly curious...

Good reading !

19 Nov 2012     

Allisa
Bulgaria

Demo versions show us how programmes and games work so a demonym must be a word that shows us the nature of a person or a thing or what they can do. Synonym: descriptive name. Examples: Mr Know-it-all; Prince Charming. Tongue

19 Nov 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Demonym, commonly referred to as Demo, is a half-blood witch. In fact, for all you Harry Potter fans out there in ESLprintables land, Demo is a sibling to Nymphadora Tonks.

19 Nov 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

A demonym is a wannabe demon who doesn �t have what it takes to be demon but is always trying to show off demon-like attitudes to try to "belong"...

19 Nov 2012     

elderberrywine
Germany

it �s a synonym I can �t for the life of me remember.
Calling it alzheimer-onym wouldn �t sound good, - - so since it �s demonic, since it �s driving me crazy and depriving me of peace of mind it �s called demonym.

19 Nov 2012     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

Hmmmm let me seeee. might mean: an action that somehow done or carried out the same way.... just a guess!!!

19 Nov 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

Douglas, thank you for bringing back the WOD!!!
elderberry, loved your definition!!
my try...

demo from demonstration
nym from nymph

Demonym is a fancy name for the - usually lovely - girls who demonstrate the different objects at sales promotions with the intention of enticing custumors into buying the products

Here is an example of a lovely demonym

19 Nov 2012     

1    2    Next >