Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Tomorrow is a big day for "us" Americans    

Tomorrow is a big day for "us" Americans

Mietz
Germany

It�s "M-I-E-T-Z" Unhappy.
No - I don�t want to provoke a reaction. I just remember people celebrating Bush�s victory!
What do we know, what history is going to bring? I wanted Obama to win and I too want him to make things better. But I don�t know, if that really is in HIS power. Let�s hope things in Afghanistan and Irak and, and, and are going to get better... BUT how and what do we define as better and who are we to judge that? Again - I think this isn�t the place to discuss this though.
BTW why doesn�t anybody here answer the question, where we draw the line?

19 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Obama�s inauguration isn�t really political... it�s just an important (world) event and it causes no ill feelings toward other members like the Israel - Palestine issue does. Also, this post wasn�t put up to cause a discussion or defend a view.

Also, Libertybelle just wanted to share something that makes her happy. what�s wrong with that??  

19 Jan 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

I totally agree with Mietz no matter what the significant of this event it is political and should not therefore be talked about here. If the consensus is otherwise then will all of be allowed to bring issues we feel are also significance. I don�t want to say more than that because we could then descend into a political debate.

19 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Why is happiness about something political allowed, but being afraid of something political or sad about something political isn�t?!

WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?

Again - My point is, that THIS FORUM (never mind my classroom!!!) was defined by others as non-political and non-religious.

19 Jan 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

I do agree with all of you who thinks it isn�t a political issue!

Obama�s winning marks a milestone in American history, almost 50 years after the height of the civil rights movement led by Martin Luther King.

This election is truly historical.
 A truly great day for all Americans and not only .

What will now become interesting is how Mr Obama deals with not only the presidency of America, but also being the leader... .

My point is, like most of of us I want this world of ours to be at peace and see every human being in it having the right to have the freedom of choice.

Thank you Libertybelle for sharing this song with us. I love this singer!
Have a nice day!!! 

19 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Obama is a historical figure. It�s not the same. Would you veto a speech by Winston Churchill, Martin Luther King or Ghandi? 

19 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Would you veto a speech by Bush? He�s a political figure. He is now also a historical figure.

Again - I want peace! I want happy news! I want to look back in 8 years time and be able to say, that Obama was a magnificient American president who made the world a better place (for the majority of people). I really hope he can do that.

I also realize, that it is a historical fact that his election marks a huge milestone in American history - for many reasons.

All I�m asking is - where to draw the line about the word "political", as the forum was supposed to be a non-political place. I�m happy to change the consensus here, but then it has to be defined, what is allowed and what isn�t and why.

19 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I agree with Libertybell and others in that this is a celebration of a key event in American (an english speaking country) history.

It is a positive thing.
Schools throughout the english speaking countries will be in some way discussing this whether through assemblies or in class discussions or in the history lessons.

The reasoning in my humble opinion behind the "no political" stance regarding the war and unrest in and around Gaza is that we have teachers here from the countries involved. Each side with their own passionate beliefs and views. Everyone should feel welcome here regardless of ethnicity, religious and political backgrounds, we are all here because we love teaching.

I don�t feel that this forum is that place to debate the atrocities of war. I can read the papers, watch the news and ask people privately for information if I want to know more.
I would think that to allow debate on Gaza and the issues surrounding it will divide  this wonderful and positive community.

Sorry but I don�t think the war in Gaza can be in any way compared to the celebration of Obama�s inauguration tomorrow which IS a key event in American history.

I know which one I would teach to kids and which one I definitely wouldn�t.

19 Jan 2009     

arkel
Ireland

The video seems to have been taken offCry. I get this message:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Home Box Office, Inc..

I�m really excited about tomorrow and am wondering how to bring live coverage of the inauguration to my classes!

Hugs to all Hug

Rosemary

19 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Just a note to Rosemary

It will probably be on television tomorrow night around 7 or 8 o�clock -
central European time.

L

19 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >